|Judge of the Federal Court of Australia|
|Assumed office |
1 March 2016
|Born||1969/1970 (age 50–51)|
Port Augusta, South Australia
|Education||University of South Australia|
Australian National University
Natalie Charlesworth is an Australian judge, sitting on the Federal Court of Australia.
Early life and education
Charlesworth was born and raised in Port Augusta, South Australia. Charlesworth moved to Adelaide to study at the University of South Australia earning her Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism in 1991. She spent a decade working as a journalist. Charlesworth then earned a Bachelor of Laws degree from Australian National University. Charlesworth also holds a Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from Australian National University.
Charlesworth started her career as an associate to the Hon Justice John Mansfield AM of the Federal Court. She then worked for the South Australian Crown Solicitor's Office, as solicitor, and later senior solicitor. She became a senior associate with Kelly & Co Lawyers. Charlesworth became a barrister in 2007 and was listed by Doyle's Guide as a leading employment law barrister in Adelaide in 2015, and 2016.
On 25 February 2016, George Brandis, the Attorney-General of Australia, announced Charlesworth's appointment to the Federal Court of Australia, effective 1 March 2016. Charlesworth was appointed to the Adelaide registry, replacing the retiring judge John Mansfield AM.
As a judge, Charlesworth presided over Radio Adelaide's lawsuit against ABC over ABC's attempt to re-brand one of its stations. Charlesworth granted an injunction in favor of Radio Adelaide. Charlesworth also ruled in favor of a French wine company Pernod Ricard, finding the company did not infringe upon Australian winery Yalumba's trademark.
Charlesworth is the mother of three children.
- "Five SA women explain what it means to make it to the top ahead of International Women's Day". The Advertiser. 6 March 2016.
- "Biographies for appointees to the Federal Courts" (PDF). www.attorneygeneral.gov.au. Retrieved 9 November 2017.
- "Copy of Speakers". www.lawsocietysa.asn.au. Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- "Leading Employment Barristers – Adelaide". Doyle's Guide. 2015. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- "Leading Employment & WHS Barristers – Adelaide". Doyle's Guide. 2016. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- "Appointments to the Federal Courts". attorneygeneral.gov.au. 25 February 2016. Retrieved 9 November 2017.
- Bullock, Lara (25 February 2016). "Federal judicial vacancies filled". Lawyers Weekly. Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- Washington, David (14 December 2016). "Radio Adelaide takes ABC fight to federal court - InDaily". InDaily. Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- Washington, David (9 January 2017). "891 ABC "celebrates" new name after legal defeat - InDaily". InDaily. Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- Educational Broadcasters Adelaide Incorporated v Australian Broadcasting Corporation  FCA 1502 (23 December 2016).
- England, Cameron (26 January 2017). "Yalumba ends bottle battle". www.heraldsun.com.au. Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- Samuel Smith & Son Pty Ltd v Pernod Ricard Winemakers Pty Ltd  FCA 1515 (14 December 2016).
- Edwards, Verity (5 May 2011). "Law council to look at exodus of women". The Australian. Retrieved 9 November 2017.