National Archaeological Museum, Madrid
Museo Arqueológico Nacional
Museum's main facade
|Director||Andrés Carretero Pérez|
|Official name: Museo Arqueológico Nacional|
The National Archaeological Museum (Spanish: Museo Arqueológico Nacional) is a museum in Madrid, Spain. It is located on Serrano Street beside the Plaza de Colón (Columbus Square), sharing its building with the National Library.
The museum was founded in 1867 by a Royal Decree of Isabella II as a depository for numismatic, archaeological, ethnographical and decorative art collections of the Spanish monarchs.
The museum was originally located in the Embajadores district of Madrid. In 1895, it moved to a building designed specifically to house it, a neoclassical design by architect Francisco Jareño, built from 1866 to 1892. In 1968, renovation and extension works considerably increased its area. The museum closed for renovation in 2008 and reopened in April 2014. The remodelled museum concentrates on its core archaeological role, rather than decorative arts.
Its collection is based on pieces from the Iberian Peninsula, from Prehistory to Early-Modern Age. However, it also has different collections coming from outside of Spain, especially from Ancient Greece, both from the metropolitan and, above all, from Magna Graecia, and, to a lesser extent, from Ancient Egypt, in addition to "a small number of pieces" from Near East.
Visitors enter the building at basement level, and pass to the prehistory section.
- Prehistoric and Iberian
- Lady of Elche
- Lady of Baza
- Lady of Galera
- Dama del Cerro de los Santos
- Biche of Balazote
- Bull of Osuna
- Mausoleum of Pozo Moro
- Sphinx of Agost
- Roman and Visigothic
Gallery of key objects
Lady of Elche, Iberian, 4th century BC, with Greek influence
Bull of Osuna, Iberian, end 5th century BC
Mausoleum of Pozo Moro, Iberian, c. 500 BC
Crucifix of Ferdinand and Sancha, c. 1063
Media related to Museo Arqueológico Nacional de España at Wikimedia Commons