Navy Medical Service Corps

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Navy Medical Service Corps
Seal of the United States Navy Medical Service Corps.png
Seal of the United States Navy Medical Service Corps[1]
FoundedAugust 4, 1947; 71 years ago (1947-08-04)
Country United States of America
Branch United States Navy[2]
RoleMilitary medical support and research
Size2,600 officers (approximately)
WebsiteHomepage
Prior Chiefs / Directors, Medical Service Corps[3]
Name Photo Term
RADM Anne M. Swap
Anne M. Swap (3).jpg
2015[4]-Incumbent[5]
RADM Terry J. Moulton[6]
RDML Terry Moulton.jpg
2012-2015[4]
RADM Eleanor V. Valentin [7]
Evee.jpg
2009-2012
RADM Michael Mittelman [7]
Michael H. Mittelman (3).jpg
2006-2009
CAPT Brian G. Brannman 2004-2006
RADM J. Philip Van Landingham
Joseph P Landingham.jpg
1999-2004
RADM H. Edward Phillips 1995-1999
RADM S. Todd Fisher 1993-1995
RADM Charles Loar
RADM Charles R Loar USN.jpg
1991-1993
RADM Donald Shuler
Donald E Shuler USN.jpg
1987-1991
RADM Lewis Angelo
Lewis E Angelo USN.jpg
1982-1978
CAPT Paul Nelson 1978-1982
CAPT William Green Jr. 1976-1978
CAPT Albert Schwab 1973-1976
CAPT Emmett VanLandingham 1968-1973
CAPT Robert Hermann 1952-1968
CAPT Leo J. Elsasser 1958-1962
CAPT Willard C. Caukins 1954-1958

The United States Navy Medical Service Corps is a staff corps of the U.S. Navy, consisting of officers engaged in medical support duties. It includes healthcare scientists and researchers, comprising around 60% of its personnel, and healthcare administrators, comprising the remaining 40%.[8] Many of the latter are former enlisted hospital corpsmen, the Medical Service Corps Inservice Procurement Program (MSC-IPP) being one of several routes from enlisted service to commissioned status. The Medical Service Corps has around 2,600 serving commissioned officers.[9]

Organization[edit]

The Navy Medical Service Corps was created on 4 August 1947 by act of the United States Congress. Originally it had four specialist sections: Supply and Administration, Optometry, Allied Sciences, and Pharmacy.[8] Currently the Navy Medical Service Corps has three sections: Healthcare Administration, Healthcare Sciences, and Clinical Care Providers.

Healthcare Sciences are subdivided into the following fields of specialty:[8]

Clinical Care Providers are subdivided into the following fields of specialty:[8]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ http://www.jhsph.edu/offices-and-services/career-services/for-students/career-resources/Public%20Health%20Employers/2012-13_Employer_Information_Sessions/US%20Navy%20Slides.pdf
  2. ^ https://www.navy.com/dam/Navy/Navy-IMG/Downloads/pdf/healthcare/msc-brochure.pdf
  3. ^ "Change Of Office And Retirement Ceremony for the Director, Medical Service Corps". 2004-01-16. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
  4. ^ a b "Rear Adm. Terry Moulton, left and Capt. Anne Swap, right, cut the cake at the MSC change of office ceremony". US Navy. 2015-12-01. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
  5. ^ "Biography, Rear Admiral Anne M. Swap". US Navy. Archived from the original on 2019-04-05. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
  6. ^ "Medical Service Corps Receives New Corps Chief". US Navy. 2012-08-30. Archived from the original on 2019-04-05. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
  7. ^ a b "Medical Service Corps Receives New Director". US Navy. 2009-10-08. Archived from the original on 2019-04-05. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
  8. ^ a b c d The Medical Service Corps at navy.mil (view HTML)
  9. ^ Medical Service Corps at navy.com

External links[edit]