|Alma mater||Newcastle University|
|Thesis||Settlement and defence of Byzantine and Longobard northern and central Italy (1985)|
|Doctoral advisor||R. M. Harrison|
|Institutions||Newcastle University |
University of Leicester
Education and career
Christie studied archaeology at Newcastle University. After obtaining his doctorate, he held a Rome Scholarship at the British School at Rome, and was later employed there to prepare the excavation report on Santa Cornelia. He was also a Sir James Knott Fellow at Newcastle and a British Academy Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Institute of Archaeology in Oxford. He joined Leicester in 1992 and was subsequently appointed professor.
Christie is the reviews editor for Medieval Archaeology. He was a founding member of the Medieval Settlement Research Group in 1987, and serves as its secretary and reviews editor of its journal. He also holds a faculty position at the British School at Rome.
|Scholia has an author profile for Neil Christie.|
- War and Warfare in Late Antiquity: Current Perspectives (Late Antique Archaeology, Volumes 8.1, 8.2). (edited, with Alexander Sarantis). Brill, Leiden, 2013.
- Vrbes Extinctae. Archaeologies of Abandoned Classical Towns (ed. N. Christie & A Augenti), Ashgate, Farnham, 2012.
- Medieval Rural Settlement. Britain and Ireland, AD 800-1600, edited N. Christie & P. Stamper. Oxbow Books/Windgather Press, Oxford, 2011.
- The Fall of the Western Roman Empire. An Archaeological and Historical Perspective. Bloomsbury Academic, London, 2010.
- From Constantine to Charlemagne: An Archaeology of Italy, AD 300–850, Ashgate, Aldershot, 2006.NC Italy book
- Landscapes of Change. Rural Evolutions in Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages, (ed. N Christie), Ashgate, Aldershot, 2004.
- Ethnography and Archaeology in Upland Mediterranean Spain. Manolo's World: Peopling the Recent Past in the Serra de L'Altmirant, 1994–98, (edited with P Beavitt, J Gisbert Santonja, J Segui, V Gil Senis), Leicester Archaeology Monograph, 12, Leicester 2004.
- Towns and Their Territories between Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages, (The Transformation of the Roman World, Volume 9), (eds. G.P. Brogiolo, N Gauthier and N Christie), ESF/Brill, Leiden, 2000.
- Towns in Transition: From Late Antiquity to the Middle Ages, (eds. N Christie and S Loseby), Scolar Press, Aldershot 1996.
- The Lombards. The Ancient Langobards, Basil Blackwell, Oxford 1995.
- Settlement and Economy in Italy, 1500 BC - AD 1500: Papers of the Fifth Conference of Italian Archaeology, (ed. N Christie), Oxbow Monograph 41, Oxford 1995.
- Three South Etrurian Churches: Santa Cornelia, Santa Rufina and San Liberato, (ed. N Christie), Archaeological Monographs of the British School at Rome, Volume 4, London 1991.
- "Dr Neil Christie". University of Leicester. Retrieved 20 March 2014.