News Journal (Ohio)
|Sports editor||Mark Huber|
|Founded||October 1838Western Whig, as the|
|Headquarters||761 South Nelson Avenue,|
Wilmington, Ohio 45177, United States
The News Journal is an American daily newspaper and multimedia site (wnewsj.com) published five days per week (Tuesday-Saturday) in Wilmington, Ohio, covering Clinton County. It is owned by AIM Media, based in McAllen, Texas.
The newspaper traces its history back to two weeklies, the Clinton Republican (begun in 1838 as the Western Whig, name changed the next year), and The Wilmington Journal (founded 1868), that merged into The Journal-Republican in 1912. The Wilmington News Journal was founded by W. J. Galvin on Oct. 15, 1915, originally called the Wilmington Daily News.
In 1916, it merged with the semi-weekly Journal Republican and became known as the Wilmington Daily News Journal. It was owned by the Galvin family until it was sold to the Brown Publishing Company in 1986. In 2010, Brown declared bankruptcy and was reconstituted as Ohio Community Media, which later became part of Civitas/Versa. The company, including the News Journal, was purchased for an undisclosed sum in 2011 by Versa Capital Management.
In 2012 Versa merged Ohio Community Media, former Freedom papers it had acquired, Impressions Media, and Heartland Publications into a new company, Civitas Media. Civitas Media sold its Ohio papers to AIM Media in 2017.
- "About Western Whig". Chronicling America. Library of Congress. Retrieved June 12, 2012.
- "About The Wilmington Journal". Chronicling America. Library of Congress. Retrieved June 12, 2012.
- Sanctis, Matt (September 3, 2010). "Court Approves Brown Sale of Assets". Springfield News-Sun. Springfield, Ohio. Retrieved June 12, 2012.
- Staff report (May 20, 2011). "Local Newspapers Under New Ownership". Springfield News-Sun. Springfield, Ohio. Retrieved June 12, 2012.
- Business Wire, Versa Capital Announces the Formation of Civitas Media, LLC, retrieved April 10, 2017
- "Quarterly Updates - 2nd Quarter 2017". Dirks, Van Essen & Murray. 2017-06-30. Retrieved 2017-10-28.