Nickelodeon (African TV channel)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Nickelodeon logo (from 2010)
|Launched||June 12, 1999 (block)|
July 1, 2008 (channel)
|Owned by||Viacom International Networks Africa (Viacom)|
Nick Jr. (Africa)
MTV Base (Africa)
Comedy Central (Africa)
|DStv (Africa)||Channel 305|
|Skyy TV (Ghana)||Channel 145|
|GO TV (Ghana)||Channel 153|
Nickelodeon Africa is a 24-hour children's channel. Nickelodeon currently reaches 1.5 million households in 49 countries across the continent.
Before it was a channel, it was a block on the South African children's channel KTV, before it created another channel in 2006, Koowee, and rebranded itself as Nickelodeon. Nickelodeon was launched as a channel in July 2008. In 2012, it received new bumpers, promo, and continuity. Later, In 2014, came the launch of Nicktoons as a replacement for the discontinued Kidsco, and the launch of Nick Jr. another channel from Viacom. Nick Jr and Nicktoons share the same website as Nickelodeon.
In June 2017, the Kenya Film Classification Board (KCFB), headed by CEO Ezekiel Mutua, ordered a ban on six cartoons airing on Cartoon Network Africa, Nickelodeon Africa and Nicktoons Africa for allegedly promoting LGBT themes to minors. The shows affected are the currently-running Cartoon Network shows Adventure Time, Clarence and Steven Universe, in addition to the already-ended Nickelodeon shows Hey Arnold! and The Legend of Korra, and the currently-running Nickelodeon cartoon The Loud House.
On March 5, 2019 Nickelodeon (South Africa only) alongside Comedy Central, BET, MTV and MTV Base were available in HD on DStv.
- Spongebob SquarePants(22 July 2008-Present)
- Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (November 2018-present)
- Hunter Street(22 May 2017-Present)
- Henry Danger (2015-Present)
- NOOBees (2018-present)
- The Bureau Of Magical Things
- Welcome To The Wayne*
- Cousins for Life
- Game Shakers
- Knight Squad
- School of Rock
- The Thundermans
- Sam and Cat
- Sanjay and Craig
- Nicky, Ricky, Dicky and Dawn
- Game Shakers(8 February 2016 - 10 June 2019)
- The Thundermans(21 April 2014-27 August 2018)
- Nicky, Ricky, Dicky, and Dawn(2 March 2015-22 August 2018.
- School of Rock(7 November 2016-25 May 2018)
- Sam and Cat(2013-14)
- Bella and the Bulldogs(2015-2016)
- Winx Club(2011-2015)
- Afan, Emily Claire (3 March 2009). "Nickelodeon Africa expands across platforms". kidscreen.com. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- "Nickelodeon celebrates birthday with multiplay in Africa". balancingact-africa.com. 16 April 2010. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- Dahir, Abdi Latif (June 17, 2017). "Some Nickelodeon kid cartoons have been banned in Kenya for "glorifying homosexuality"". Quartz. Retrieved August 30, 2017.