|Revenue||£1.252 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
Nisa Retail Limited (// NY-sə; formerly Nisa-Today's) is a brand and groceries wholesaler (or "symbol group") operating in the United Kingdom. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Co-operative Group Limited. It was formerly a mutual organisation owned by its members and operating "...like a co-operative, using the collective buying power of the large group of members to negotiate deals with suppliers".
Nisa's headquarters and one of its ambient distribution centres are co-located in Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire. It also has distribution centres for temperature controlled products at Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire; Harlow, Essex and Livingston, West Lothian.
As of 2016[update], Nisa Retail Limited supplies over 4,000 convenience shops and small supermarkets, including the Costcutter symbol group and CK Foodstores in Wales. According to Company Accounts submitted for year ending on 31 March 2014, Nisa Retail Limited has an estimated net worth of £30.77 million.
The present organisation can trace its history back to 1977 when Peter Garvin, a Yorkshire-based retailer, met Dudley Ramsden, a wholesaler whose family owned a supermarket in Grimsby. The company was called the Northern Independent Supermarkets Association and comprised thirty retailers, with a turnover of £20 million.
Garvin had established NISA some years earlier as a means of fighting the larger supermarket chains of the time but had struggled with the format and future growth. A chance meeting with Ramsden at an industry gathering at a hotel in Bawtry allowed Ramsden to see the potential of the idea.
Nisa agreed to be purchased by the Co-operative Group in November 2017. The acquisition was subject to regulatory approval by the Competition and Markets Authority, and was completed in May 2018.
- "Strategy & Structure". Nisa Retail Limited. Retrieved 20 May 2008.
- Rebecca Harvey (9 May 2018). "Nisa appoints new CEO as Co-op Group completes its acquisition". Co-operative News.
- Read, Nick. "Nisa Retail Annual Reports and Accounts" (PDF). Nisa. Nisa Retail Ltd. p. 16.
- "Meet The Key People". Nisa Retail Limited. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- "Nisa is pronounced 'Nicer', company confirms". York Vision. 13 June 2014. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- "Co-op completes acquisition of Nisa Retail Limited". co-operative.coop (Press release). 8 May 2018.
- "Local retailers planning merger". BBC News on bbc.co.uk. 10 May 2006.
- "CK's Supermarkets | Your local, independent food retailer". www.cksupermarkets.co.uk. C K's Supermarkets. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "Nisa Retail Limited". Endole Insights.
- "Peter Garvin". TheGrocer.co.uk.
- "Tributes for Ramsden as he decides to retire". wholesalenews.co.uk.
- Julia Kollewe (13 November 2017). "Co-op buys Nisa for £143m after members back takeover". The Guardian.
- Butler, Sarah (6 April 2018). "Co-op plans to take over failing schools in north of England". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 April 2018.