Notre Dame Academy (Park Hills, Kentucky)
|Notre Dame Academy|
1699 Hilton Drive
|Enrollment||Approximately 575 (2019)|
|Student to teacher ratio||15:1|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Accreditation||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Athletic Director||Myanna Webster|
Notre Dame Academy is a Catholic, all-girls, college-preparatory high school within the Diocese of Covington, sponsored by the Sisters of Notre Dame of Covington, Kentucky. Notre Dame Academy provides a premier education infused with the spirit of St. Julie Billiart proclaiming God’s goodness and provident care. Notre Dame Academy is the ONLY all-girls single-gender high school for girls in Northern Kentucky. Notre Dame Academy is located in Park Hills, Kentucky, United States.
Notre Dame Academy was first established in 1874 as a Catholic grade school with an initial class of seven students. The school offered kindergarten through eighth grade plus a two-year commercial school. A school building on Fifth Street was dedicated on July 26, 1876. The school expanded to include a high school program in 1906. In 1937, the elementary school program was discontinued due to growing enrollment in the high school.
By the 1950s, the school had outgrown its downtown Covington location and Notre Dame Academy moved to nearby Park Hills. The new campus, on the grounds of the Sisters of Notre Dame provincial house, cost nearly $1.5 million to build (equivalent to $9.62 million in 2018). It opened in October 1963.
In 1996, Notre Dame Academy completed a $2.9 million project (equivalent to $4.37 million) to renovate and expand the school building, adding a gymnasium. The school began another renovation and expansion project in 2007, which added athletic fields and a theater.
In 2019, Notre Dame Academy completed a $7 million capital campaign to renovate its 20th century building into a 21st century environment where students can fully utilize technology and support a holistic education. One of the four principal areas of the campaign was the addition of a Collaborative Learning Center at NDA. This collaborative learning space supports new and innovative ways that our students utilize a library to access online resources and collaborate with others to problem solve and create new ideas.
Notre Dame is a member of the Kentucky High School Athletic Association (KHSAA) and has won 29 state championships and has 32 state runner-up titles. The majority of the school's students participate in one or more of 14 sports: archery, basketball, bass fishing, bowling, cheer, cross-country, golf, lacrosse (club), soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track, and volleyball.
- Laura Cottingham – art critic, curator, and visual artist
- Amy McGrath – former fighter pilot, 2018 U.S. congressional candidate
- Roxanne Qualls – mayor of Cincinnati
- SACS-CASI. "SACS-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on April 29, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- Bloemer, Donna M. (2009). "Notre Dame Academy". In Tenkotte, Paul A.; Claypool, James C. (eds.). The Encyclopedia of Northern Kentucky. Lexington, Kentucky: University Press of Kentucky. p. 681. ISBN 978-0-8131-2565-7 – via Issuu.
- "Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized, 1982 Through 2018" (PDF). United States Department of Education. November 27, 2018. p. 83. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- Bucher, Chris (1 August 2017). "Amy McGrath: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know". Heavy.com.