This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Chapel of St Francis of Assisi, at the railway stop at Val just outside of Greylingstad.
|• Total||9.33 km2 (3.60 sq mi)|
|• Density||90/km2 (230/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||45.0%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (SAST)|
|Postal code (street)|
Early 20th century
The town was founded in 1909 by the Dutch Reformed Church and named after PJ Greyling, stepson of Piet Retief. A new town was laid out 5km away in 1913 on the farm Willemsdal owned by Willem Bezuidenhout. In 1914 its name became Greylingstad and everyone moved to the new location.
During the Boer War the Scottish Rifles built a number of small forts overlooking the town and the farms beyond the hills. The Scottish Rifles laid out the initials "SR" on the hill overlooking the town, and it was always clearly visible from the main street of Greylingstad.
Late 20th century
In the 1950s and 1960s the town had a flourishing farming community.
A major change came about in 1962 when ESCOM (now called ESKOM) erected a 88kV substation and the town, which had about 300 residents at the time, was connected to the main electricity grid.
The farming community is still big and growing and the town not booming, but constantly doing business.
|This Mpumalanga location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|