This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
LGA and Town
|Time zone||UTC+1 (WAT)|
Ohafia is a clan as well as a local government area in Abia State, Nigeria. It is an Igbo speaking region. The ancestral capital of Ohafia clan is the centrally located village of Elu. Ohafia Local Government Area, is an administrative jurisdiction assigned by the Nigeria Government, which covers the entire Ohafia villages and other clans such as Abiriba and Nkporo, with its Administrative Headquarters at Ebem Ohafia.
The ancestors of the Ohafia people were renowned as mighty warriors. This aspect of the Ohafia peoples history remains fundamental to the Ohafia people's sense of identity. The warrior's cap or "leopard cap" (Igbo: Okpu agu) is well known and is an associated product of Ohafia. The Ohafia warrior tradition is embodied in the performance of iri agha.
Ohafia is home to the third largest military base in Nigeria, named Goodluck Jonathan Barracks. It houses the headquarters of the newly established 14 Brigade and 145 Battalion office complex. Typically, Ohafia encompasses over twenty-six howntowns with population strength ranging between 800,000 and 916,000 as at 2014. The villages and towns in Ohafia are Isiama, Nbem,Abiriba, Amasa, Nkporo, Oso-akwa, Oko-aku, Amangwu, Ohafor, Onia, Ama-Asato, Ebem, Ona, Aro Ngwa, Amavo, and Umun-Neise.
- Ogbugo Kalu, Former army officer who served in both the Nigerian Army and Biafran Army
- Eni Njoku, First black Vice Chancellor of University of Lagos and University of Nigeria Nsukka. The pioneer professor of botany in Nigeria.
- Uche Jombo, Award winning nollywood actress
- Ruggedman, Afro-Rap Artiste
- J. Martins, Afro-pop Artiste
- Ike Nwachukwu, Military Officer, former governor of old Imo state, Diplomat and former Senator.
- Ebitu Ukiwe, Mil77uitary Officer, Former Military Governor of Lagos state and Niger State, Former Chief of General Staff (De facto Vice President) to General Babangida's Mi7litary Government.
- Prof. Anya O. Anya, Professor of zoology, University of Nigeria, Nsukka ; former Chief Executive Officer, Nigeria Economic Summit Group Ltd.
- Amarachukwu Amicable Dennis, Classical Music Artiste.
- Kalu Idika Kalu is a former Finance Minister of Nigeria, Minister of National planning and Transportation Minister. He served twice as the minister of finance. He was a presidential aspirant in the 2003 Nigeria general elections, of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, under the platform of The New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP)
- Professor Jonathan Kalu Udonsi, Nigerian parasitologist, educator, researcher, consultant. Fellow Wellcome Trust, University of Nottingham, England, 1992-1993. Member Science Association of Nigeria, Nigeria Society Parasitology (secretary general 1984-1987), British Society for Parasitology.
- Chief Ojo Maduekwe,a former minister of Culture and tourism (1999), minister of Transportation (2000 - 2003), Minister of Foreign Affairs (2007 - 2010 and National Secretary to the People Democratic Party.
- "A Brief Description of Ohafia". Retrieved 2008-11-20.
|This Abia state, Nigeria location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|