|Delta del Orinoco|
Orinoco Delta's sunset
|States||Delta Amacuro, Monagas, Sucre|
|Area||43,646 km2 (16,852 sq mi)|
Geographic map of the Orinoco Delta natural region.
The Orinoco Delta is one of the eight natural regions of Venezuela. It is covers the whole of Delta Amacuro State and a few square kilometers of Monagas State and Sucre State, comprising all the mouths of the Orinoco. It is divided into two sections: the principal, at the northernmost part of the system, located between Caño Manamo and the left shore of Caño Araguao, where the majority of villages are established, including the state capital, Tucupita; and the secondary, between the right shore of Caño Araguao and Río Grande.
The Warao people live in the region.
The delta is fan-shaped, formed by the Orinoco River as it splits into numerous distributaries, called caños, which meander through the delta on their way to the sea. The main distributary is called the Rio Grande, which empties south-southeast through the southern portion of the delta, and the second major distributary is Caño Manamo, which runs northward along the western edge of the delta. The area of this region is approximately 43,646 square kilometres (16,852 sq mi). The Orinoco Delta is characterized by being non-centric, lagoon lacking, and oceanic, somewhat similar to the delta of the Niger River. Daily tides bring sea water up the "caños", causing the "macareo" or pororoca and revsering the flow direction of water, at least on surface.
The predominant vegetation is in the Orinoco Delta swamp forests ecoregion. Along the coast and the river margins there are stretches of Amazon-Orinoco-Southern Caribbean mangroves, specifically the Guianan mangroves ecoregion. To the west, and closer to the coast, there are patches of the Orinoco wetlands ecoregion.
- Amazon-Orinoco ... Myers.
- Tognetti, Burdette & Schipper.
- WildFinder – WWF.
- "Orinoco Delta Wetlands of Venezuela | Saving Wetlands". Saving Wetlands. 2017-05-03. Retrieved 2017-09-04.
- "Amazon-Orinoco-Southern Caribbean mangroves", Global Species, Myers Enterprises II, retrieved 2017-04-04
- Schipper, Jan, Northern South America: Northeastern Venezuela and northwestern Guyana (NT0147), retrieved 2017-04-05
- Tognetti, Sylvia; Burdette, Christine; Schipper, Jan, Eastern South America: Coastal French Guiana, Suriname, Guyana, and southeastern Venezuela (NT1411), retrieved 2017-04-05
- WildFinder, WWF: World Wildlife Fund, retrieved 2017-03-25
- Venezuela Tourism Directory
- Geo-Environmental Characterization of the Delta del Orinoco (University of Texas)
- "Orinoco wetlands". Terrestrial Ecoregions. World Wildlife Fund.
- "Orinoco Delta swamp forests". Terrestrial Ecoregions. World Wildlife Fund.
- "Guianian mangroves". Terrestrial Ecoregions. World Wildlife Fund.
|This article about a location in Venezuela is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|