Other ranks (UK)
Other ranks (ORs) in the Royal Marines, British Army, Royal Air Force and in the armies and air forces of many other Commonwealth countries are those personnel who are not commissioned officers, usually including non-commissioned officers (NCOs). (In the Royal Navy, these personnel are called "ratings" rather than "other ranks". Non-commissioned member is the equivalent term for the Canadian Armed Forces.) Colloquially, members of the other ranks are known as "rankers".
The term is often considered to exclude warrant officers, and occasionally also excludes NCOs. Formally, a regiment consists of the "officers, warrant officers, non-commissioned officers and men" or the "officers, warrant officers and other ranks".
- Enlisted rank
- British Army other ranks rank insignia
- Royal Navy ratings rank insignia
- RAF other ranks
- "PACMAN Chapter 3 Part 1 Part B Division 5: Salary (Other Ranks)". Defence.gov.au. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- Berman, Gavin; Rutherford, Tom (19 September 2013). "Defence personnel statistics (SN/SG/02183)" (PDF). House of Commons of the United Kingdom. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- Royal Navy. "Life as a Rating". Royal Navy. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- Roll of Honour of the Royal Lincolnshire Regiment
- Valerie Anderson, Race and Power in British India: Anglo-Indians, Class and Identity in the Nineteenth Century, 2015
- Paul Knight, The British Army in Mesopotamia, 1914–1918, 2013
|This United Kingdom military article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|