Paul B. Matey
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit|
|Assumed office |
March 18, 2019
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||Julio M. Fuentes|
Paul Brian Matey
March 29, 1971
Edison, New Jersey, U.S.
|Education||University of Scranton (BA)|
Seton Hall University School of Law (JD)
Paul Brian Matey (born March 29, 1971) is an American attorney who is a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Prior to Matey's judicial service, he was a partner in the White Collar Criminal Defense and Litigation practice groups at the law firm of Lowenstein Sandler LLP. He was previously Senior Vice President, General Counsel, and Secretary at University Hospital in Newark, New Jersey.
Matey earned his Bachelor of Arts from the University of Scranton, and his Juris Doctor, summa cum laude, from Seton Hall University School of Law, where he served as editor-in-chief of the Seton Hall Law Review.
After graduating from law school, Matey served as a law clerk to Judge John C. Lifland of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey and to Judge Robert Cowen of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. He spent two years as a litigation associate at the Washington, D.C., law firm Kellogg, Hansen, Todd, Figel & Frederick. Matey then worked as an Assistant United States Attorney for the District of New Jersey, where he prosecuted matters including complex white-collar crimes and child protection actions, and received the Director's Award for Superior Performance from the United States Department of Justice. From 2010–2015, Matey served as senior counsel and then as deputy chief counsel to Governor of New Jersey Chris Christie. He was senior vice president, general counsel, and secretary of University Hospital in Newark from 2015–2018. In September 2018, Matey became a partner at Lowenstein Sandler. He has served in multiple positions within the Federalist Society.
Federal judicial service
On April 10, 2018, President Trump announced his intent to nominate Matey to serve as a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. On April 12, 2018, his nomination was sent to the Senate. He was nominated to the seat vacated by Judge Julio M. Fuentes, who assumed senior status on July 18, 2016. On November 13, 2018, a hearing on his nomination was held before the Senate Judiciary Committee.
On January 3, 2019, his nomination was returned to the President under Rule XXXI, Paragraph 6 of the United States Senate. On January 23, 2019, President Trump announced his intent to renominate Matey for a federal judgeship. His nomination was sent to the Senate later that day. On February 7, 2019, his nomination was reported out of committee by a party-line 12–10 vote. On March 11, 2019, the Senate invoked cloture on his nomination by a vote of 50–44. On March 12, 2019, the Senate voted to confirm his nomination by a vote of 54-45. He received his judicial commission on March 18, 2019.
- Moriarty, Thomas (April 11, 2018). "Trump will name this Christie ally from Jersey to federal judgeship". NJ.com. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- "Paul Matey – Nominee for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit". The Vetting Room. January 29, 2019. Retrieved October 18, 2019.
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Twelfth Wave of Judicial Nominees, Twelfth Wave of United States Attorneys, and Sixth Wave of United States Marshals" White House, April 10, 2018 This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- Moriarty, Thomas (April 10, 2018). "Trump will name this Christie ally from Jersey to federal judgeship". nj.com.
- Severino, Carrie (April 10, 2018). "Paul Matey: Third Circuit Nomination by Trump". National Review. Retrieved April 30, 2018.
- "Twenty-Nine Nominations Sent to the Senate Today" White House, April 12, 2018
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for November 13, 2018
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Intent to Nominate Judicial Nominees", White House, January 23, 2019
- "Nominations Sent to the Senate", White House, January 23, 2019
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – February 7, 2019, Senate Judiciary Committee
- Roll Call Vote 116th Congress - 1st Session United States Senate Vote Summary: Vote Number 41, United States Senate, March 11, 2019
- "On the Nomination (Confirmation Paul Matey, of New Jersey, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Third Circuit)". United States Senate. March 12, 2019. Retrieved March 12, 2019.
- Paul Matey at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Paul Matey at Ballotpedia
Julio M. Fuentes
| Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit