Water mill in Penegoes
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Mid and West Wales|
The Afon Crewi, one of several streams feeding into Afon Dulas, itself a tributary of the Afon Dyfi, has created a fairly broad and flat valley. Penegoes church is on the level northernside of the valley with the ground sloping down gently to the stream. The church represents the focus of what is now a dispersed settlement. Only a single habitation, Llwyn, adjoins it but others lie off the main road at regular intervals to west and east.
The churchyard adopts an irregular form but has been extended at its west end where the original curvilinear course can still be detected as a scarp bank amidst the tightly packed graves. Two adjacent wells on the opposite side of the road to the church are reputed to have had curative properties, as reported by the Royal Commission at the beginning of the 20th century: Ffynnon Penegoes and Ffynnon Gadfarch. The rectory and its outbuildings are dated to the late 18th or early 19th century and have a Grade II listing. Reputedly they are on the site of an earlier rectory where the landscape painter, Richard Wilson , was born. Llawr-Penegoes, 250m east of the church.
Plas Dolguog, an early 17th-century manor house, with Victorian extensions, now a hotel. The house was built in 1632 for the Herbert family. It is now a country house hotel.
- "History of Plas Dolguog". Retrieved 29 April 2013.
|This Powys location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|