Pieter van der Westhuizen
Pieter Willem van der Westhuizen
|Born||24 December 1937|
Colesberg, Northern Cape
|Allegiance|| South Africa|
|Service/||South African Army|
|Years of service||1959-1985|
|Other work||Ambassador to Chile|
He joined the South African Army as Lieutenant in 1959 and would later serve as a troop commander at the 1 Special Service Battalion and later as company commander at 2 South African Infantry Battalion. In 1964 he was appointed to the Infantry School as an instructor. By 1968, he was appointed as a staff officer at the Directorate of Military Intelligence. He completed the French Command & Staff Course in the sixties and was appointed the Commandant Army College in 1974.
He commanded Northern Transvaal Command before becoming a Director of Collection at Directorate Military Intelligence in 1976. He was appointed Chief of Staff Intelligence in June 1978. He held that position until 1985 before becoming the Secretary of the State Security Council until 1988.:Chp2
Awards and Decorations
- Star of South Africa (SSA)
- Southern Cross Medal (SM)
- Military Merit Medal (MMM)
- Good Service Medal, Gold (30 Years)
- Good Service Medal, Silver (20 Years)
- Good Service Medal, Bronze (10 Years)
- Uys, Ian (1992). South African Military Who's Who 1452-1992. Fortress Publishers. ISBN 0-9583173-3-X.
- Nöthling, C.J.; Meyers, E.M. (1982). "Leaders through the years (1912-1982)". Scientaria Militaria. 12 (2): 93.
- O'Brien, Kevin A. (2011). The South African Intelligence Services: From Apartheid to Democracy, 1948-2005. Studies in Intelligence Series. Routledge. ISBN 978-0-203-84061-0.
| Ambassador to Chile
1988 – 1990
Leon Malan Brand
Andre van Deventer
| Secretary of the State Security Council
1985 – 1988
Acting from 1978 - 1980
| Chief of Staff Intelligence
1981 – 1985
| OC Northern Transvaal
1975 – 1976
|This biographical article related to the South African military is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|