Play the white man
A similar expression, originating in the southern United States in the 20th century, is That's mighty white of you and variations, with the meaning of "thank you for being fair." Because of its racist connotations, since the mid-to-late 20th century it has mostly been used ironically when used at all.
- "Complaint made over Mayor of Erewash's 'racist comment' at council meeting". Nottingham Post. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- Smitherman, G (2006). Words and Expressions, Proverbs and Familiar Sayings. Word from the mother (pp. 45). Routledge: New York.
- "White". Merriam-Webster online. Retrieved June 12, 2019.
- Partridge, Eric (1992). Dictionary of Catch Phrases. Scarborough House. p. 60. ISBN 978-0812885361.
- Oxford English Dictionary, cited at Dave Wilton (18 February 2007). "that's white of you". Wordorigins. Retrieved June 12, 2019.
|Look up play the white man in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|