This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Total||8.86 km2 (Formatting error: invalid input when rounding sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
As of 2001[update] India census, Podhaturpettai had a population of 18,698. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Podhaturpettai has an average literacy rate of 58%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 70%, and female literacy is 45%. In Pothaturpettai, 16% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Weaving (Handloom and powerloom) of cotton lungies and saris is the primary occupation. Farming (sugarcane and rice(As a cereal grain, it is the most widely consumed staple food for a large part of the world's human population, especially in Asia.)
The area hosts a government hospital and some clinics.
Pothaturpettai is near to the Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh. Nearby towns include Thiruttani (22 km), Pallipattu(10 km) and Sholinghur (23 km) Ponnai (40 km), Vallimalai (45 km) in the native state and Nagari (13 km) of the nearby state of Andhra Pradesh And )
The town has access to primary and higher education including:
- Government Boys Higher SecondarySchool
- Government Girls Higher SecondarySchool
- P.U. Middle School
- A.N.M. Middle School
- A.N.M. Primary School
- ESSR Middle School
- Vivek Primary School
- Vaariar Matriculation School
- St.Mary's Matriculation School
- Government Primary School
- Ravindranath Thagoor Primary School
- Vallalar Primary School
Four teacher training colleges and one Arts and Science college are available:
- ESSM College of Education
- ESSM College of Arts and Science
- ESSM Teacher Training Institute
- TVM College of Education
- TVM Teacher Training Institute
During the tenure of DMK Government 1996-2001 and 2006-2011, the town saw developments such as conversion of the roads to Tiruttani, Pallipet and Ponnai Sholinghur into State Highways.
An electric sub-station was added to provide 24x7 three phased power supply and a full pledged 34-bed government hospital were established.
Operators such as Reliance, Idea, TATA Docomo, jio 4G Vodafone, Aircel and Airtel provide mobile communications. Government-owned BSNL provides 3G and wired internet over landlines.
Popular Hindu temples inside the Industrial town include Lord Shiva Temple, Lord Permual Temple, Sri Ponniamman, Sri Subramaniya Swamy, Sri Nagamman, Sri Kanniamman and Sri Gangai amman Temples. A Church and a Mosque are present.
- "Pothatturpettai (Thiruvallur, Tamil Nadu, India) - Population Statistics, Charts, Map, Location, Weather and Web Information". www.citypopulation.de. Retrieved 10 July 2019.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.