Premier Lacrosse League
|No. of teams||6|
|Countries||United States, Canada|
|TV partner(s)||NBC Sports Group|
|2019 PLL season|
Premier Lacrosse League (PLL) is an American professional field lacrosse league. The league's inaugural season debuted on June 1, 2019, and includes a 14-week tour-based schedule taking place in 12 major-market cities. The league was founded by the American professional lacrosse player Paul Rabil and his brother Mike Rabil. Investors include The Chernin Group, The Raine Group and Joe Tsai.
In September 2018, Bloomberg reported Paul Rabil would be launching a new professional lacrosse league. The PLL would be a direct competitor to the more established Major League Lacrosse. The new league will provide professional lacrosse players with salaries, health care, and league equity.
The league's media model radically differs from that of most North American professional sports leagues. A 2018 Sports Illustrated story on the then-prospective league pointed out that LeBron James' Instagram account "features virtually no clips of him playing basketball—those are the property of the NBA, meaning its owners." By contrast, the PLL open-sources its highlights, allowing players to freely use them to build their own personal brands. Additionally, PLL operates a full-time studio that produces other player-centered content.
The PLL features six teams, each with a 26-player roster. As opposed to tying teams to a specific market, the league tours 12 different "major market cities". The season includes 14 weeks, comprising 10 regular-season weekends, 1 all-star weekend, and 3 playoff weekends, running from June 1 through September 21, assuring there is no overlap with the NCAA Lacrosse or National Lacrosse League seasons.
By October 2018, 140 players had been signed by the PLL. Of the 140 players are 86 All-Americans, 25 members of the U.S. national team, and 10 former Tewaaraton Award winners. By December the league had signed 17 additional players.
Media and business partners
The IMG Academy is the official Preseason Training Facility. Adidas is the exclusive footwear and apparel brand. Capital One Bank will be the official bank sponsor for the entire PLL and the jersey patch sponsor for the Atlas LC.
|Archers Lacrosse Club||2019||Chris Bates|
|Atlas Lacrosse Club||2019||John Paul|
|Chaos Lacrosse Club||2019||Andy Towers|
|Chrome Lacrosse Club||2019||Dom Starsia|
|Redwoods Lacrosse Club||2019||Nat St. Laurent|
|Whipsnakes Lacrosse Club||2019||Jim Stagnitta|
|2019||Whipsnakes LC||12–11 (OT)||Redwoods LC||Talen Energy Stadium||Chester, PA||12,556||Matt Rambo|
- Jim Brown Most Valuable Player
- Eamon McEneaney Attackman of the Year
- Gait Brothers Midfielder of the Year
- Dave Pietramala Defensive Player of the Year
- Brodie Merrill Long Stick Midfielder of the Year
- Paul Cantabene Face Off Athlete of the Year
- George Boiardi Hard Hat Award (SSDM)
- Oren Lyons Goalie of the Year
- Rookie of the Year
- Dick Edell Coach of the Year
- Jimmy Regan Teammate of the Year
- Brendan Looney Leadership Award
- Dave Huntley Sportsmanship Award
- Welles Crowther Humanitarian Award
- "Paul Rabil's Premier Lacrosse League Launches". www.uslaxmagazine.com.
- Soshnick, Scott (February 12, 2019). "Rabil's Lacrosse League Gets Investment From Alibaba Billionaire". Bloomberg. Retrieved 22 July 2019.
- Soshnick, Scott; Boudway, Ira (October 22, 2018). "Wall Street's Lacrosse Fraternity Backs Rabil's New League". Bloomberg. Retrieved 8 June 2019.
- Reiter, Ben (November 16, 2018). "Can a New Barnstorming, Player-Centric Lacrosse League Serve as a Template for Other Sports?". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved June 4, 2019.
- "NBC Sports Group, Paul Rabil launch Premier Lacrosse League". NBC Sports. October 22, 2018.
- "Premier Lacrosse League Announces 140-Plus Player List". Inside Lacrosse. October 22, 2018. Retrieved July 22, 2019.
- Jastrzembski, Chris (October 22, 2018). "Premier Lacrosse League introduced: Players, media deal, funding all announced". College Crosse. SB Nation. Retrieved July 22, 2019.
- "PLL Announces 17 Additional Players to League Roster". Inside Lacrosse. December 6, 2018. Retrieved July 22, 2019.
- "New Pro Lacrosse League". Barstool Sports. Retrieved 2018-10-24.
- "PLL Announcement". Business Journals. Retrieved 2018-10-24.
- "IMG ACADEMY NAMED OFFICIAL PRESEASON TRAINING FACILITY OF PREMIER LACROSSE LEAGUE". PremierLacrosseLeague.
- "adidas & Premier Lacrosse League (PLL) announce groundbreaking partnership". Adidas. April 10, 2019. Retrieved 22 July 2019.
- "Premier Lacrosse League announces Capital One as league's Official Business Banking Partner". June 7, 2019. Retrieved July 22, 2019.
- "Premier Lacrosse League Announces Names of End-of-Season Awards". PremierLacrosseLeague.