Provincial Grand Lodges (UGLE)
Provincial Grand Lodges are administrative subdivisions of a Grand Lodge. Under the jurisdiction of the United Grand Lodge of England they are the regional governing bodies of Freemasonry in England, Wales, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands.
There are currently 47 Provincial Grand Lodges governed by UGLE, whose boundaries largely correspond to those of the historic counties of England. Each Provincial Grand Lodge is headed by a Provincial Grand Master.
The Grand Lodge uses a broadly similar administrative system for groups of lodges overseas, although these units are termed "District Grand Lodges". The Constitutions of the Grand Lodge also permit the formation of a similar administrative system for any large urban metropolitan area, to be known as a "Metropolitan Grand Lodge". At present only one such unit has been established, namely the Metropolitan Grand Lodge of London.
Provincial Grand Lodges
(WITHIN ENGLAND, WALES, THE CHANNEL ISLANDS AND ISLE OF MAN)
- Bedfordshire - Inaugurated: 1885
- Berkshire - Inaugurated: 1773 - then called Berkshire & Buckinghamshire PGL but were divided in 1890
- Buckinghamshire - Inaugurated: 1890*
- Cambridgeshire - Inaugurated: 1796
- Cheshire - Inaugurated: 1725
- Cumberland and Westmorland - Inaugurated: 1860
- Derbyshire - Inaugurated: 1826
- Devonshire - Inaugurated: 1775
- Dorset - Inaugurated: 1780
- Durham - Inaugurated: 1788
- Guernsey and Alderney - Inaugurated: 1753
- Hampshire & Isle of Wight - Inaugurated: 1767
- Isle of Man - Inaugurated: 1886
- Jersey - Inaugurated: 1753
- East Kent - 1973# Kent PGL was inaugurated in 1770 and split into East & West Kent in 1973
- West Kent - 1973#
- East Lancashire - 1960 before then known as East Lancashire Division since 1826
- West Lancashire - 1960 then known as Lancashire West Division since 1826
- Leicestershire & Rutland
- Lincolnshire - Inaugurated: 1792
- London is outside the provincial structure being administered by Metropolitan Grand Lodge of London
- Monmouthshire - 1753 as Northamptonshire PGL then as combined PGL in 1840
- Northamptonshire & Huntingdonshire - Inaugurated: 1798
- Northumberland - Inaugurated: 1734
- Oxfordshire - Inaugurated: 1717
- Staffordshire - Inaugurated: 1791
- Suffolk - Inaugurated: 1772
- Surrey - Inaugurated: 1837
- North Wales - Inaugurated: 1727
- South Wales
- West Wales
- Warwickshire - Founded: Inaugurated: 1728
- Wiltshire - Inaugurated: 1775
- Worcestershire - Inaugurated: 1847
- Yorkshire, North & East Ridings - Inaugurated: 1817
- Yorkshire, West Riding - Inaugurated: 1817
- "United Grand Lodge of England - Provinces". www.ugle.org.uk.
- "Buckinghamshire Provincial Grand Lodge - Buckinghamshire Provincial Grand Lodge". www.buckspgl.org.
- "History - Provincial Grand Lodge of Hampshire & Isle of Wight".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-10-28. Retrieved 2011-10-26.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)