|Single by Young Jeezy featuring Kanye West|
|from the album The Recession|
|Released||June 3, 2008|
|Genre||Hip hop, southern hip hop|
|Length||5:21 (album version)|
4:19 (radio edit)
4:40 (video version)
|Young Jeezy singles chronology|
|Kanye West singles chronology|
"Put On" is a song by American recording artist Young Jeezy featuring Kanye West, from Jeezy's third studio album The Recession. The song was released as the album's lead single on June 3, 2008. The song received a Grammy nomination for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group, and was featured in the video games Midnight Club: Los Angeles and Skate 3.
"I called him and was like "Yo, I got this record.' And he like, 'I really ain't been in the booth. I was like, 'I get it, but we need you. He called me back in 10 minutes and was rapping the verse on the phone." Jeezy told West to send the song back to him and L.A. Reid. "So before I could call him back, L.A. Reid was calling me at the same time like, 'When are we putting this out? This the single."
Drumma Boy explained the creation of the beat in a 2018 interview with Billboard;
"I think about the process of making the beat. I remember being at my crib and I was arguing with somebody and pissed off about something. Jeezy just reached out about needing some beats: "I need them yams." I was in the perfect mood. I remember being home alone and it was probably around 3 a.m. and I started making the beat. I turned off all the lights and got the feeling I did when I was a kid walking into the studio for the first time and seeing all the different lights, meters flashing, computer on desktop mode and everything was just a vibe. I rolled up a couple blunts and lit up the first one to get in the zone. The first sounds I played made me feel like I was in The Twilight Zone. When I first made the "Put On" beat, I wanted it to feel like a new anthem for the Chicago Bulls when they came out on the floor. I was thinking about the Bulls anthem with Phil Jackson and Michael Jordan in primetime. I made that beat in 30 minutes and put it into Pro Tools and sent it over to Jeezy fresh off the press."
The music video for "Put On", directed by Gil Green as featuring Amber Rose in one of her first high-profile appearances, premiered on BET's 106 & Park on July 21, 2008. The music video is aimed at the 2008 recession. In the video, silver and black U.S. flags are hung up around neighborhoods and businesses, representing change.
Remixes and freestyles
An official remix featuring rapper Jay-Z was released on July 29, 2008. Jay-Z tried the auto-tune for the phrase, "I Put On" before his verse for a short time and didn't use the effect after that, saying "I don't need no T-Pain."
A freestyle over the production was recorded by Ludacris for his mixtape The Preview. Lil Wayne also recorded a freestyle for his mixtape Dedication 3, featuring Tyga and Gudda Gudda. Another remix was made by Trae tha Truth for one of his mixtapes. Other artists to freestyle over the beat include: Rick Ross, Ace Hood & Plies, Wale and The-Dream.
- December 4, 2008. Lil Wayne Nominated For Eight Grammy Awards. Accessed December 4, 2008.
- "Midnight Club Los Angeles Tracklist". Rockstar Games. Retrieved 6 April 2020.
- "Skate 3 Soundtrack Revealed". Cinemablend. 21 March 2010.
- Carl Lamarre (23 June 2017). "Drumma Boy Talks Working With 'Empire' Star Yazz & Why He's One of the 'Originators of Trap'". Billboard. Archived from the original on 24 June 2017.
- Michael Saponara (3 June 2018). "10 Years Of 'Put On': Drumma Boy Remembers Crafting The Young Jeezy & Kanye West 2008 Anthem". Billboard. Archived from the original on 5 April 2020.
- FNT Tigg (10 September 2019). "Jeezy Explains How He Got Kanye West's Classic Verse for "Put On"". Complex.
- "Jeezy Says Kanye Wrote His "Put On" Verse In 10 Minutes & Rapped It To Him Over The Phone". HipHop DX. Youtube. 9 September 2019.
- "BET Awards 2008 - Show". Getty Images. 24 June 2008.
- Eric Diep (27 July 2015). "Jeezy Brought Out Everyone (Except Jay Z) for His 'TM: 101' 10th Anniversary Concert". Complex. Archived from the original on 29 July 2015.
- Young Jeezy f. Jay-Z - Put On (rmx) Accessed August 2, 2008
- "Young Jeezy Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "Young Jeezy Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "Young Jeezy Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "Young Jeezy Chart History (Hot Rap Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "Young Jeezy Chart History (Rhythmic)". Billboard. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- "Hot 100 Songs – Year-End 2008". Billboard. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- "Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs – Year-End 2008". Billboard. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- "Rhythmic Songs – Year-End 2008". Billboard. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- "American single certifications – Young Jeezy – Put On". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.