Reading Memorial High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Reading Memorial High School|
62 Oakland Road
|School district||Reading Public Schools|
|Number of students||1,235 (2017–18)|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.08|
|Hours in school day||6.5|
|Color(s)||Red and black|
|Athletics conference||Middlesex League|
|Rival||Stoneham High School, Lexington High School, Wakefield High School|
|Accreditation||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
Massachusetts Department of Education
|Graduation Rate||96.9 % (2012)|
|MCAS Scores, Grade 10||English:|
97% Proficient or higher
96% Proficient or higher
|Website||Reading Memorial High School|
Reading Memorial High School (RMHS) is a four-year public high school serving the town of Reading, Massachusetts, United States, as its only grade 9-12 school. Reading Memorial is managed by Reading Public Schools. The school has a student body of 1,269 (2016) drawn from Parker Middle School and Coolidge Middle School. A new building renovation and construction project was completed for the 2007-08 academic year. Part of the Middlesex League, the sports teams are called the Rockets. The school's principal is Kathleen Boynton and the vice principals are Jessica Theriault and Michael McSweeney.
In the Spring of the 1995-96 school year, the Reading Memorial Boys Varsity Baseball team won their first State Championship.
The Reading Memorial High School Girls Basketball program was the 2012 Division II Massachusetts State Champions. Reading Girls basketball capped an undefeated (25-0) 2012 season by defeating Central Champion Tyngsborough at the DCU Center in Worcester on March 17, 2012. This was the first state championship for Reading Memorial High School in the sport of basketball. The following year the team competed for the Eastern Division II Massachusetts State Championship, but fell in overtime to Medfield, 59-51.
On March 16, 2014, the Rockets' Boys Varsity Hockey team won the Division I State Championship over Braintree 4-1 at the TD Garden, their first state championship since winning the Super 8 Championship in 2008.
On March 15, 2015, the Reading Girls Varsity Hockey team won the Division I State Championship over Acton-Boxborough Regional High School 3-1 at the TD Garden, their first in the school's history.
On November 11th, 2016, Reading Memorial's Varsity Football team advanced to their respective playoff division Super Bowl for the second consecutive year after beating Lincoln Sudbury 21-7 in the Division 1A North Final. However, they lost to King Philip High School 21-18 in the Super Bowl at Gillette Stadium, their second consecutive loss in an MIAA Super Bowl. The Rockets' Football team has won two of the five Super Bowls they have participated in since 2003, winning in 2009 and 2012. Additionally, in the fall of 2016 the Reading High School Varsity Girls Swim Team won the Middlesex League Championship and the Division 2 State Championship. The Girls Varsity swim team repeated as League and Division 2 State Champions in 2017 and 2018.
On June 23, 2018, the Rockets' Boys Varsity Lacrosse team won the MIAA Division 2 State Championship by defeating Concord-Carlisle High School, 13-9, at Boston University's Nickerson Field. The title was the first state championship victory in Reading Memorial's Lacrosse Program history.
- Stephen Goss (RMHS '10), rapper, known as Cousin Stizz
- Max Brallier (RMHS '01), New York Times and USA Today bestselling author
- Mark Erelli, folk musician
- Denise A. Spellberg (RMHS '75), associate professor of history, University of Texas at Austin, author of Politics, Gender, and the Islamic Past: The Legacy of 'A'isha Bint Abi Bakr (1994) and Thomas Jefferson's Qur'an: Islam and the Founders (2013)
- Mark Feeney (RMHS '75), Boston Globe arts writer, author of Nixon at the Movies: A Book about Belief (2004), winner Pulitzer Prize for Criticism, 2008
- Brad Whitford (RMHS '70), best known as guitarist for Aerosmith
- John Doherty (RMHS '69) first baseman-designated hitter, California Angels
- Danny McBride (RMHS '63), singer-songwriter, best known as guitarist for 1970s rock and roll group Sha Na Na
- "Reading Memorial High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved January 8, 2020.
- "Graduation Report Report (DISTRICT) - Massachusetts Directory Profiles". Profiles.doe.mass.edu. Archived from the original on December 5, 2013. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Profile, profiles.doe.mass.edu; accessed December 9, 2014.
- "Student Data". Profiles.doe.mass.edu. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Layman, Tom (March 3, 2012). "Div. 2 Girls Final: Reading 48, Tyngsborough 27". ESPN Boston. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- Alter, Alexandra (May 5, 2015). "Galactic Hot Dogs' Hopes Readers on Funbrain will buy at Bookstores". The New York Times.
Boston College High School
| Super Eight Hockey Tournament Champions