|15th Attorney General of Hawaii|
February 2, 2018
Acting: February 2, 2018 – March 29, 2018
|Preceded by||Doug Chin|
December 1, 2014 – March 12, 2015
|Preceded by||David M. Louie|
|Succeeded by||Doug Chin|
|Education||University of Hawaii, Manoa (BA)
Ohio State University, Columbus (JD)
Russell A. Suzuki is an American attorney and the 15th and current Attorney General of Hawaii. He was nominated on March 14, 2018 by Governor David Ige, and was confirmed by the Hawaii Senate on March 29, 2018.
Suzuki attended Leilehua High School. He subsequently obtained his undergraduate degree from the University of Hawaii and also obtained a J.D. from Ohio State University Moritz College of Law.
Suzuki was admitted to the Hawaii State bar in 1977. He initially practiced criminal defense law, family law, business law, and military law at the law offices of Yoshiro Nakamura. He subsequently moved to the public sector and was employed with the Department of the Attorney General as Supervising Deputy Attorney General of the Administration Division and Education Division. He then served as First Deputy Attorney General under Attorneys General Douglas Chin, David M. Louie, and Mark J. Bennett. He has also served as counsel to various state boards and commissions, including the Land Use Commission, the Board of Education, the Board of Regents, the Employees’ Retirement System, the Employer-Union Health Benefits Trust Fund and the Judicial Selection Commission.
In 2014, Suzuki was appointed as acting Attorney General of Hawaii when newly elected Governor David Ige chose not to reappoint David Louie, the previous Attorney General. Suzuki served in an interim capacity until Douglas Chin was appointed Attorney General in 2015. After serving as First Deputy Attorney General under Chin for three years, Suzuki was again appointed acting Attorney General of Hawaii on February 2, 2018 when Chin stepped down in order to assume office as Lieutenant Governor of Hawaii.
- "Governor appoints longtime public sector attorney to AG post". Hawaii News Now. Raycom Media. 14 March 2018.
- "Senate Confirms Suzuki as Attorney General". Hawaii News Now. Raycom Media. 29 March 2018. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- "Governor fills five administrative posts". Hawaii News Now. Raycom Media. 2011. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Directory Results". Hawaii State Bar Association. Hawaii State Bar Association. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "GOVERNOR'S OFFICE – NEWS RELEASE – GOV. IGE APPOINTS RUSSELL SUZUKI TO BE ATTORNEY GENERAL, TOP LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER FOR THE STATE". governor.hawaii.gov. State of Hawaii. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- Grube, Nick (1 December 2014). "Louie Out, Hawaii To Get New Attorney General". Honolulu Civil Beat. Honolulu Civil Beat Inc. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- Reyes, B.J. (16 January 2015). "Ige names attorney general, PUC chairman". Honolulu Star Advertiser. staradvertiser.com. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Doug Chin to serve as lieutenant governor, but still plans to run for Congress". Hawaii News Now. Raycom Media. 2 February 2018. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
David M. Louie
|Attorney General of Hawaii
|Attorney General of Hawaii