Naval Information Warfare Systems Command
This article appears to contain a large number of buzzwords. (May 2012)
This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Naval Information Warfare Systems Command (NAVWARSYSCOM), based in San Diego, is an Echelon II organization within the United States Navy and is the Navy's technical authority and acquisition command for C4ISR (Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance), business information technology and space systems. Echelon II means that the organization reports to someone who, in turn, reports directly to the Chief of Naval Operations. NAVWARSYSCOM reports to the Assistant Secretary of the Navy (RDA).
NAVWARSYSCOM supports over 150 programs managed by the Program Executive Office (PEO) for Command, Control, Communications, Computers and Intelligence (C4I), as well as the programs of PEO for Enterprise Information Systems (PEO EIS) and PEO Space Systems. PEO EIS and PEO Space Systems are located in the greater Washington, D.C. area. SPAWAR Systems Center Atlantic, an Echelon III organization, is located in Charleston, SC, and also includes facilities in Norfolk, VA, New Orleans and Stuttgart, Germany. SPAWAR Systems Center Pacific is located in San Diego, and includes facilities in Japan, Guam and Hawaii. Effective February 18, 2019, the names of the systems centers will be changed to Naval Information Warfare Center Atlantic and Pacific, respectively.
A number of mergers over the years have led to the current organization. Eighty percent of the Point Loma Military Reservation evolved into the Naval Electronics Laboratory Center (NELC) at the end of World War II. In the 1960s, NELC was tasked with 4C: Command, Control, Communications and Computers. In 1977 NELC was merged into the Naval Ocean Systems Center (NOSC) and eventually was merged into SPAWAR. In June 2019, the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command was renamed the Naval Information Warfare Systems Command. 
NAVWARSYSCOM is responsible for managing Air Traffic Control contractors in Afghanistan, including the Kabul en route air traffic control center, the Kabul, Kandahar, and Bagram approach control radar facilities, and respective control towers.
NAVWARSYSCOM provides systems engineering and technical support for the development and maintenance of C4ISR (command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance), business information technology and space capabilities. These are used in ships, aircraft and vehicles to connect individual platforms into integrated systems for the purpose of information sharing among Navy, Marine, joint forces, federal agencies and international allies.
- Command and Control: to organize, direct, coordinate, deploy and control forces to accomplish assigned missions
- Responsible for managing Air Traffic Control contractors in the Afghanistan theater of operations. Includes the Kabul en route air traffic control center, Kabul, Kandahar, and Bagram approach control radar facilities, as well as control towers at all three locations.
- Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance and Information Operations: to collect, process, exploit and disseminate information regarding an adversary’s capability and intent
- Cyberspace Operations: to operate and protect communications and networks, while exploiting and disrupting adversary’s command and control
- Business Information Technology (IT) and Enterprise Information Systems: to enable business processes and to ensure standard IT capabilities
- Enterprise Systems Engineering: to develop solutions based on capability needs, design considerations and constraints
- Space Systems: to procure and manage narrowband communication satellites in support of the Department of Defense and other government agencies
- Communications and Networks: to provide information through voice, video and data
- Naval Command, Control and Ocean Surveillance Center (NCCOSC)
- Naval Space Command
- Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Pacific
- Fuentes, Gidget (February 13, 2019). "WEST: SPAWAR Systems Centers Rebranded as Naval Information Warfare Centers". U.S. Naval Institute. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "SPAWAR Systems Center Names Change to Naval Information Warfare Centers". navy.mil. 13 February 2019. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- "1970". www.public.navy.mil. Archived from the original on 2018-03-19.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-01-17. Retrieved 2013-12-02.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command.|