This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Part of a series on the|
|Western Sahara conflict|
Saguia el-Hamra (Spanish: Saguía el Hamra, Arabic: الساقية الحمراء, romanized: al-Saqiyah al-Hamra'a, lit. 'Red Canal') was, with Río de Oro, one of the two territories that formed the Spanish province of Spanish Sahara after 1969. Its name comes from a waterway that goes through the capital. The wadi is inhabited by the Oulad Tidrarin Sahrawi tribe.
Occupying the northern part of Western Sahara, it lay between the 26th parallel north and 27°50'N. The city of Cape Bojador served to divide the regions. Its colonial capital was El Aaiún (Laâyoune), and it also included the city of Smara.
The area is roughly 82,000 km (51,000 mi), making it approximately a third of the entire Western Sahara.
- Law, Gwillim (1999-10-01). Administrative Subdivisions of Countries: A Comprehensive World Reference, 1900 through 1998. McFarland. p. 412. ISBN 9780786460977.
- Great Soviet Encyclopedia. 1975. p. 447.
|This article about a location within Western Sahara is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|