The Emery Mill on the Bayonne River
Location within Matawinie RCM
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||December 24, 1997|
|• Mayor||Audrey Boisjoly|
|• Federal riding||Joliette|
|• Prov. riding||Berthier|
|• Total||89.80 km2 (34.67 sq mi)|
|• Land||87.87 km2 (33.93 sq mi)|
|• Density||68.6/km2 (178/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||4.8%|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||450 and 579|
|Highways|| Route 131 |
Historically it was part of the Berthier Seignory. Circa 1830, a small group of pioneers from England, Scotland, and Ireland started to colonize the place. In 1840, the Mission of Saint-Félix-de-Valois was formed and soon after in 1844 it became a parish when it separated from the Sainte-Élisabeth Parish. It was named after Felix of Valois.
In 1845, the Parish Municipality of Saint-Félix-de-Valois was first established, but abolished two years later. In 1851, its post office opened. In 1855, the parish municipality was reestablished.
In 1926, the main village, also known as Saint-Félix-de-Valois, was incorporated as a separate Village Municipality. On December 24, 1997, the parish municipality and the village municipality were reunited into the new Municipality of Saint-Félix-de-Valois.
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 2548 (total dwellings: 2749)
- English as first language: 0.5%
- French as first language: 98.2%
- English and French as first language: 0.3%
- Other as first language: 1%
Commission scolaire des Samares is the French school board.
- École secondaire de l'Érablière
- École des Moulins (Saint-Félix-de-Valois)
- Peter B. Champagne, American businessman and politician
- Michel Vaillancourt, silver medalist at the 1976 Olympics in equestrian
- "Saint-Félix-de-Valois (Municipalité)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- Geographic code 62007 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (in French)
- Statistics Canada 2011 Census - Saint-Félix-de-Valois census profile
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
- "des Moulins (pavillon Notre-Dame)." Commission scolaire des Samares. Retrieved on September 22, 2017.
- "des Moulins (pavillon Sainte-Marguerite)." Commission scolaire des Samares. Retrieved on September 22, 2017.
- "Ward #10." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on July 31, 2015.
- "JOLIETTE ELEMENTARY ZONE." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on September 17, 2017.
- "Joliette High School Zone Sec 1-5." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on September 5, 2017.
- Media related to Saint-Félix-de-Valois at Wikimedia Commons