Sanji Mmasenono Monageng
Sanji Mmasenono Monageng
|1st Vice-President of the International Criminal Court|
|Preceded by||Fatoumata Dembélé Diarra|
|Succeeded by||Joyce Aluoch|
|Judge of the International Criminal Court|
11 March 2009 – 2018
|Born||9 August 1950|
|Alma mater||University of Botswana|
Monageng is a national of Botswana. She became a judge in Botswana in 1989. In 2003, Monageng was elected as a Commissioner in the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights, which is an organ of the African Union. On November 2006, she attended the meeting for The Yogyakarta Principles held in Gadjah Mada University. In 2007 she became the Chairperson of the Commission.
In 2009, Monageng was elected a judge of the ICC by the court's Assembly of States Parties. Her nine-year non-renewable term expires in 2018.
When Monageng was elected to the ICC in 2009, she was assigned to sit in the Pre-Trial Chamber of the Court. Mongaeng remained in the Pre-Trial Chamber until 2012. After serving in the Pre-Trial Chamber, Monageng started working in the Appeals Division in 2012. She was promoted to President of the Appeals Division in 2014.
Between 2012 and 2015, she served as First Vice-President of the Court for a term of three years.
At the time she was elected as a judge of the ICC, Monageng was also acting as a judge of the High Court of The Gambia and as a judge of the High Court of Swaziland. She was acting in these positions pursuant to the Commonwealth Fund for Technical Cooperation Programme.
On 30 September 2013, Monageng received the Presidential Order of Honor from President Ian Khama. In 2014, Monageng was given the Human Rights Award by the International Association of Women Judges.
- "'Yogyakarta Principles' a Milestone for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Rights". hrw.org/. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- Muluzi, Kali. "A growing legal titan". sundaystandard.info. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "Judge Song elected new ICC President". haguejusticeportal.net. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Hon. Sanji Monageng". iawj-womenjudges.org. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Nkhoma, Thomas (April 2016). "10 WOMEN OF SUBSTANCE". Kutlwano. 54 (4). Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Lee, Richard. "Botswanan Judge is new ICC Vice-President". osisa.org. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "Monageng, Sanji Mmasenono (Botswana)". asp.icc-cpi.int. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "Khama awards citizens". dailynews.gov.bw. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Judge Sanji Mmasenono MONAGENG (Botswana): ICC official site