Number of locations
|over 2,600 stores|
|34 countries worldwide|
|Martin Brok (Global president & CEO Sephora)|
|Products||Beauty & wellness|
|Revenue||over $10 billion USD (2019) (estimated)|
Sephora is a French multinational retailer of personal care and beauty products. Featuring nearly 3,000 brands, along with its own private label, Sephora offers beauty products including cosmetics, skincare, body, fragrance, nail color, beauty tools, body lotions and haircare.
The company was founded in Limoges in 1970 and is currently based in Paris. Sephora is owned by luxury conglomerate LVMH as of 1997. The name comes from the Greek spelling of Zipporah (Greek: Σεπφώρα, Sepphōra), wife of Moses.
Sephora first launched in Paris in August 1970. It was acquired by Dominique Mandonnaud in 1993, who merged the purchase with his own perfume chain under the Sephora brand. Mandonnaud is credited for designing and executing Sephora's "assisted self-service" sales experience, which separated itself from standard retail models for cosmetics by encouraging customers to test products in retail locations before purchasing.
Mandonnaud continued to expand the Sephora brand through the 1990s, opening up its flagship store in Champs Élysées in 1997. In July 1997, Mandonnaud and his partners sold Sephora to LVMH, who expanded the stores globally and bolstered the chain's product offerings to include beauty and cosmetic products. Sephora extended its operation to the Middle Eastern markets in 2007 and has opened over 44 Sephora UAE and KSA stores as well as an eCommerce store. It extends its partnership with its exclusive brands in the region.
On 1 January 2014, Calvin McDonald replaced David Suliteanu as president and chief executive officer of Sephora Americas. Suliteanu was named CEO of Kendo Brands, another business in the LVMH portfolio.
Sephora opened its first United States store in New York City in 1998, its first Canadian store in Toronto in 2004 and the first Australian Sephora store in 2014. Its North American headquarters is located in New York City, with corporate offices in San Francisco and Montréal. Sephora currently operates over 430 stores across North America.
On 31 March 2017, Sephora opened its largest retail location in North America near Herald Square in New York City. The store is approximately 11,380 square feet and features over 13,000 products. It's one of six Sephora TIP Workshop locations, with interactive services and tools, in North America; the others include San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Santa Clara Valley, and Toronto.
Sephora launched its online store in the U.S. in 1999 and in Canada in 2003. The Canadian head office was opened in February 2007 by Marie-Christine Marchives, a former Sephora U.S. and Sephora France employee. Marie-Christine Marchives returned to France in July 2010 to become the general manager of Sephora France. She was replaced in Canada by Klaus Ryum-Larsen. Sephora currently operates over 2,300 stores in 33 countries worldwide,  generating over an estimated $4 billion in revenue as of 2013. As of September 2013, the Sephora at Champs Élysées in Paris, France, attracts over six million people a year.
Sephora features a variety of beauty products from more than 300 brands, including NARS Cosmetics, Make Up For Ever, Too Faced Cosmetics, Anastasia Beverly Hills, Urban Decay, Benefit Cosmetics, Amazing Cosmetics, First Aid Beauty, Lancôme Cosmetics, Sunday Riley Skincare, philosophy, Jo Malone London, Atelier Cologne, YSL Beauty by Yves Saint Laurent, Tatcha, Huda Beauty, Kat Von D, and Bobbi Brown Cosmetics. Sephora also features its own make-up, skincare, beauty tools and accessories. Packaging for the line features the company's elongated flame logo in standard black print.
Sephora inside JCPenney
In October 2006, Sephora began opening stores inside JCPenney. Sephora inside JCPenney features some of the same makeup, skincare, and fragrance brands as well as its own product line found in stand alone stores nationwide. Sephora inside JCPenney stores are much smaller than a normal store, usually 1,500 sq ft in size. There are more than 600 Sephora locations in JCPenney stores across the US. In 2017, JC Penney announced the closing of 138 stores nationwide, several of which house a Sephora in JCPenney store. In 2020, there was a moment of tension regarding the partnership, but it has since been resolved.
Sephora inside Kohl's
In August 2015 it was announced that Sephora would launch a subscription service: Play! By Sephora. The monthly subscription service offers boxes containing sample size products for a monthly fee. Boston, Columbus, and Cincinnati were the only three cities to test the initial service launch in September 2015. The service was launched throughout the US in 2016.
For $10 USD billed monthly, each month’s box is a collectable bag that changes each month with five deluxe skincare, makeup, or haircare samples. Each box includes a selection of products based on answers provided by the customer in PLAY! profile.
Sephora terminated PLAY! in April of 2020, replacing it with Sephora Luxe. Like Play!, Luxe gives the opportunity to sample products, but Luxe is ordered monthly and is not a subscription service.
Sephora UAE and KSA
Sephora UAE and KSA are regional subdivisions of Sephora. The Middle East head office was opened in February 2006 by Pierre Fayard. Since 2007, over 30 separate Sephora stores have opened across the Middle East region (UAE, KSA, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait). Sephora UAE and KSA provide make up and skincare products from notable brands such as Christian Dior, Laura Mercier and Kat Von D in a high tech contemporary retail environment. Sephora’s first Middle East store opened at Seef Mall in Bahrain on 7 January 2007 followed by Festival City, UAE on 1 March 2007 with a further 30 stores opening across the region since. The Sephora store in the Dubai Mall opened in December 2008 and is now ranked as the company’s number two store worldwide after the Paris Flagship store. In 2007 the late Sephora CEO, Jacques Levy expressed a desire to have 100 stores open across the region by 2010. A year later the international financial crisis derailed these ambitions. Levy stepped down in 2011 and died a year later. Despite this early setback Sephora have opened more than 30 more stores and introduced online shopping to the region in November 2016. In December 2017, Sephora opened ‘Gifts Beauty Park, the world's first beauty Festive playground in Dubai. The pop-up store featured fairground and makeup themed games and invited shoppers to sit down with professional Sephora makeup artists to experience the products. In March 2018 Guillaume Motte was announced as the new president of Sephora Europe and Middle East.
Sephora North America
Sephora USA was launched in 1999 and Sephora Canada in 2003 
Sephora’s Middle East stores stock internationally renowned products by the like of Clinique, Estée Lauder and L’Oreal alongside local brands such as Shiffa Dubai Skin Care and Huda Beauty. According to Forbes, Huda Beauty, founded by Dubai based blogger and business woman Huda Kattan, was the top selling cosmetic brand across Sephora Middle East, in 2018.
In 2016, Sephora launched its own all access tablet and smartphone application Designed "made manifest" by Dennis Hornstra, a software and application designer for Apple. It can be seen as an augmented reality platform. Pocket Contour, one of the digital programs that was rolled out, teaches users how to contour their skin step-by-step depending on their face shape. By uploading a photo, the user can receive a virtual makeover, experimenting with different product and shade combinations.
In April 2019, R&B singer SZA accused the store of racial profiling. On May 23, 2019, Sephora announced they would be closing all locations on Wednesday, June 5, 2019, to hold diversity training for its staff. However, the staff training was a part of their "We Belong To Something Beautiful Campaign" and not the accusations from the singer. The planning and training for this campaign began in late 2018.
On 18 November 2014, four customers filed a class action lawsuit against Sephora. The suit alleges that Sephora engaged in racial discrimination by wrongfully deactivating the customer rewards accounts of Asian customers under the pretense that these customers were buying products from Sephora in bulk and reselling them. Sephora identified accounts to deactivate by looking at email domains from @qq.com (owned by Tencent), @126.com, or @163.com (both owned by NetEase).
Sephora’s sustainable development initiatives were recognized in December 2015. The company received the Sustainable Brand label, as well as the 2015 R Award for eco-design by the Génération Responsible association. Global Cosmetic News reported that Sephora's newly launched display cases have a 30% lighter metal frame that will reduce CO2 emissions by 220 metric tons.
In 2020, Sephora announced it would no longer carry eyelashes made of mink fur, which has been shown to come from farms where animals are mistreated. The company said it was compelled by concerned customers and a PETA campaign to sell only synthetic lashes.
Awards and honors
In March 2018, FastCompany named Sephora to the number 36 spot (of 50) on their list of "World’s Most Innovative Companies", citing its expanded offering of broadly diverse and inclusive product lines like Fenty Beauty.
- "About Sephora".
- "2019 Financials".
- Wood Rudolph, Heather (19 February 2015). "Interview Insider: How to Get Hired at Sephora". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- SHERMAN, LAUREN. "Inside Sephora's Branded Beauty Strategy". Business of Fashion.
- Loeb, Walter. "Sephora: Department Stores Cannot Stop Its Global Growth". Forbes. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- Born, Pete (24 October 2013). "Calvin McDonald Named CEO of Sephora Americas". Women's Wear Daily. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- and Hebrew Zipora comes from the word Zipor which means bird. @sephora on Twitter
- Sephora facts byrdie.com
- "Sephora Holdings S.A. – Company Profile, Information, Business Description, History, Background Information on Sephora Holdings S.A." References for Business. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "The Sephora Saga". Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "Online Shopping In The UAE Is About To Get A Lot Better..." Emirates Woman. 27 October 2016. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- "Sephora Reveal The Best-Selling Beauty Products In The Middle East". Harpers Bazaar Arabia. 17 August 2017. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- "McDonald Named Sephora Americas President/CEO, Suliteanu To Become Kendo Brands CEO". Beauty Store Business Magazine.
- "About Sephora". Sephora. Retrieved 23 March 2015.
- "Sephora". New York. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "About Us | Sephora". sephora.com. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- "Sephora's Magnificent Mile store has new, high-tech look". Chicago Tribune.
- Panych, Sophia. "10 Hacks for Shopping the Largest Sephora in the United States". Allure. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- Strugatz, Rachel (3 April 2017). "Experience Matters: Sephora Goes Bigger on 34th Street". WWD. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- Zoldan, Rachel Jacoby. "Sephora Just Opened Its Biggest Store Ever, and It's Truly Insane". Glamour. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- "Sephora signs lease at Thor Equities' Town Square Metepec in Mexico". propertyfundsworld. Retrieved 4 December 2018.
- "As Ulta Looks Prettier, Sephora Sharpens Tech Edge". mediapost.com. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- "Sephora.com: About Us". Sephora. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- MASIDLOVER, NADYA. "Paris Casts A Shadow Over Hours at Sephora". The Wall Street Journal.
- "TATCHA Skin Care". Sephora. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "Kat Von D Beauty is launching a new program with Sephora that will allow you to snag new products before they hit stores". HelloGiggles. 3 January 2017. Retrieved 27 September 2017.
- "Beauty Boom: Is Sephora Becoming High Fashion's Next Target?". Time. 9 January 2013.
- "About Us | Sephora". Sephora. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "Sephora inside jcp". Sephora.
- Wahba, Phil. "J.C. Penney Is Closing These 138 Stores This Spring". http://fortune.com/2017/03/17/jcpenney-stores-closing/. External link in
- Thomas, Lauren (1 December 2020). "Sephora will open mini shops inside 850 Kohl's stores by 2023, as retailer bets big on beauty". CNBC. Retrieved 1 December 2020.
- Novellino, Teresa. "Birchbox is about to meet a French foe: Sephora". Biz Journals. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- Malamut, Melissa. "Boston Is One of Three Test Cities for the New Sephora Box". Boston. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "Sign up for Play! By Sephora - Monthly Beauty Subscription Box". sephora.com. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "About Us | Sephora UAE". Sephora. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "Buy Brands Online | Sephora UAE". Sephora. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "SEPHORA – 2point0 Concepts". 2point0concepts.com. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "Sephora expands in Middle East with new stores across GCC - Gulf Business". Gulf Business. 13 July 2016. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "Sephora's Coming: Online Shopping In UAE Is About To Get Better". Emirates Woman. 27 October 2016. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "You Can Now Shop SEPHORA Online In The UAE!". ewmoda. 9 November 2016. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "Sephora UAE Launched Gifts Beauty Park at City Walk Dubai | insydo". insydodubai.com. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "Guillaume Motte to become President of Sephora Europe and Middle East". EPCnews - European Perfumery and Cosmetics NEWS. 11 January 2018. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "About us". Sephora official website.
- "Inside Huda Kattan's Blog-to-Brand Beauty Empire". The Business of Fashion. 14 December 2016. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- Sorvino, Chloe. "How Huda Kattan Built A Billion-Dollar Cosmetics Brand With 26 Million Followers". Forbes. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "How Sephora Reinvented the Beauty Industry". Alabrava.net. Archived from the original on 29 January 2020. Retrieved 4 March 2020.
- "Sephora Updates Its Digital Beauty Makeover App | PYMNTS.com". pymnts.com. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- Caldwell, Georgina. "Sephora updates Virtual Artist app to include blush and contour shades". Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- "Sephora Using Mobile Across Entire Customer Journey". Multichannel Merchant. 9 June 2017. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- Marsh, Lisa. "ARNAULT'S SEPHORA BUYS BUSTED EVE.COM". New York Post.
- Miles, Stephanie. "Sephora.com Buys Assets of Defunct E-Tailer Eve.com". The Wall Street Journal.
- Hollie Silverman, "SZA accusation prompts Sephora to close all locations Wednesday for diversity training", CNN, June 3rd, 2019
- "Working at Sephora | Working at Sephora". Working at Sephora. Retrieved 21 February 2020.
- Blake, Dean. "Ex-staff sets up website to spotlight bullying at Sephora". Inside Retail. Retrieved 21 February 2020.
- "Sephora discriminated against Asian customers, lawsuit claims". Reuters. 19 November 2014. Retrieved 27 September 2017.
- "Civil Complaint" (PDF). PacerMonitor. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "Sephora Class Action Lawsuit". Sephora Class Action Lawsuit. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- "COURT-AUTHORIZED NOTICE OF SETTLEMENT". Sephora Community. 21 February 2017. Retrieved 24 June 2020.
- "Sephora receives Responsible Brand label and 2015 R Award for eco-design". LVMH Moët Hennessy – Louis Vuitton. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Miles, Louise Prance. "Sephora honored for sustainable development initiatives with eco award". Global Cosmetic News. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Nicola Dall'Asen,"Sephora Will Phase Mink Fur False Eyelashes Out of Its Stores," Allure 30 June 2020.
- "WWD 2011 Beauty Inc Awards: Retailer of the Year". Women's Wear Daily.
- Hamilton, Anita (4 January 2012). "How an Upstart Beauty Company Broke into the Big Leagues Read more: How an Upstart Beauty Company Broke into the Big Leagues". Time.
- "Sephora Is Bringing Shade To The Make-Up Industry". Fast Company. 6 March 2018. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sephora.|