Shooks Township, Beltrami County, Minnesota
Shooks Township, Minnesota
|• Total||36.5 sq mi (94.5 km2)|
|• Land||36.5 sq mi (94.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,342 ft (409 m)|
|• Density||5.2/sq mi (2.0/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0665602|
Shooks Township was named for Edward Shooks, a railroad official.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.5 square miles (94.5 km²), of which, 36.5 square miles (94.5 km²) of it is land and 0.03% is water.
- Shooks at
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Kelliher Township (north)
- Nore Township, Itasca County (southeast)
- Hornet Township (south)
- Langor Township (southwest)
- Cormant Township (west)
- Woodrow Township (northwest)
The township contains Saint Joseph Cemetery.
As of the census of 2000, there were 190 people, 67 households, and 54 families residing in the township. The population density was 5.2 people per square mile (2.0/km²). There were 79 housing units at an average density of 2.2/sq mi (0.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.37% White, 1.05% Native American, and 1.58% from two or more races.
There were 67 households out of which 32.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.7% were married couples living together, 10.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.4% were non-families. 17.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.78 and the average family size was 3.19.
In the township the population was spread out with 31.1% under the age of 18, 6.3% from 18 to 24, 23.7% from 25 to 44, 24.7% from 45 to 64, and 14.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 106.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 107.9 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $21,500, and the median income for a family was $25,417. Males had a median income of $24,643 versus $18,750 for females. The per capita income for the township was $10,554. About 26.3% of families and 28.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 41.9% of those under the age of eighteen and 9.5% of those sixty five or over.
- United States National Atlas
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- United States Census Bureau American FactFinder - Shooks Township total population
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 39.