Shooting of Patrick Harmon
|Date||13 August 2017|
|Location||1002 S. State Street, Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Filmed by||Police body cameras|
|Participants||Clinton Fox (gunman), Kris Smith (Taser operator)|
Patrick Harmon was a 50-year-old African-American man fatally shot from behind by police officer Clinton Fox in Salt Lake City, Utah, on August 13, 2017. The shooting took place after Harmon was pulled over by an officer for riding a bicycle without proper lighting. The incident led to protests in Salt Lake City, some organized by Black Lives Matter.
Harmon had been pulled over by police officer Kris Smith for bicycling without a red rear light. Officers tried to arrest Harmon after discovering an outstanding warrant. Harmon attempted to flee the scene and was chased by the police, at which point officers said he turned towards them with a knife and was shot. The shooting of Harmon by Fox was recorded by police body cameras. Police also stated that Harmon verbally threatened them prior to the shooting saying "I’ll cut you".
In early October 2017, some of the body camera footage was released, and the district attorney in Salt Lake City announced the decision not to file charges against the officers. The district attorney claimed that Harmon posed a threat to the officers. Critics have argued that the video footage from the scene does not show such a threat because he was running away when he was shot. A local Black Lives Matter representative said that the community wanted the district attorney to resign, or else they would respond with protesting marches.
Salt Lake City police Sgt. Brandon Shearer claimed that the officers had used police de-escalation tactics. Fox was criticized by a Black Lives Matter representative, for failing to de-escalate the situation.
- Biking while black
- List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States
- Shooting of Abdullahi Omar Mohamed
- Larry D. Curtis. "Body-cam footage released by police in fatal shooting ruled justified". Kutv.com. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- Lockhart, Ben (30 September 2017). "Protesters demand to see footage of fatal shooting in Salt Lake". Deseretnews.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Morgan Saxton. "Update: Man killed in police shooting identified". Kutv.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Lubben, Alex (6 October 2017). "Another cop got away with shooting an unarmed black man in the back". Vice.com. Vice Media. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "Salt Lake City police kill man after he grabs officer's baton and beats him with it, witness says". Sltrib.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Knox, Annie (14 August 2017). "Police shoot, kill man in State Street confrontation". Deseretnews.com. Retrieved 7 October 2017.
- Waldron, Travis (24 August 2017). "Police Killed At Least 223 Black Americans In The Year After Colin Kaepernick's First Protest". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "Bodycam video shows Utah officer fatally shoot fleeing man". Nydailynews.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Levin, Sam (5 October 2017). "Video shows Utah police fatally shooting man from behind as he fled". Theguardian.com. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- Lahitou, Jessicah. "Who Was Patrick Harmon? Utah Police Shot Him Fatally In The Back". Bustle.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Edwards, Breanna. "Video Shows Utah Police Fatally Shooting Black Man Who Was Attempting to Flee; D.A. Says Shooting Was Justified". Theroot.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "Footage shows moment police in Salt Lake City shot black man in the back as he fled". Newsweek.com. 5 October 2017. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "Family members, activists call for answers, release of police bodycam footage in fatal shooting of Salt Lake City bicyclist". Sltrib.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Taylor, Rebecca (5 October 2017). "Cop shoots fleeing black man in the back - but he 'did nothing wrong'". Mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "Video captures US police fatally shooting black man 'as he was trying to get away'". Independent.co.uk. 6 October 2017. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Whitehurst, Lindsay (6 October 2017). "Outcry over Utah fatal police shooting captured on camera". Washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "District Attorney asks FBI to review police shooting of Patrick Harmon". Sltrib.com. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- "FBI asked to probe killing of black man by Utah police". Sfgate.com. Retrieved 11 October 2017.