Sidney Daily News
The 2010-12-15 front page of the Sidney Daily News
|Owner(s)||AIM Media Midwest|
|Founded||January 1, 1891|
|Headquarters||1451 North Vandemark Road|
Sidney, Ohio 45365-4099, United States
The newspaper's history as a daily dates back to 1891, but its former sister weekly newspaper, the Shelby County Democrat, first began publishing January 1, 1849, in Sidney (as the Shelby Democrat).
The Democrat was purchased in 1876 by General James Oliver Amos, and became the first newspaper published by Amos Publishing. The Amos family began the Daily News in 1891 and published both papers until June 28, 1940, when the Democrat folded. The family sold its interest in the Daily News in 1999.
After exiting the newspaper business, Amos Publishing continued to operate, still headquartered in Sidney, as the publisher of several magazines dedicated to hobbies such as coin collecting and automobile restoration.
In February 2009, the Daily News and two other Brown papers stopped printing Tuesday editions because of the weak economy. Brown Publishing filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on April 30, 2010; its Ohio assets, including 14 daily newspapers and about 30 weeklies, were transferred to a new business, Ohio Community Media, which was purchased in May 2011 by Philadelphia-based Versa Capital Management.
In 2012 Versa merged Ohio Community Media, former Freedom papers it had acquired, Impressions Media, and Heartland Publications into a new company, Civitas Media. Civitas Media sold its Ohio papers to AIM Media Midwest in 2017.
- "About Sidney Daily News". Chronicling America. Library of Congress. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- "About Shelby Democrat". Chronicling America. Library of Congress. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- "Amos Publishing - History". Retrieved December 15, 2010.
- Wicker, Kristen (March 17, 2003). "Regional Publishing Company Gets Bigger". Dayton Business Journal. Retrieved December 15, 2010.
- "Three Ohio Newspapers End Tuesday Editions". The Columbus Dispatch. February 3, 2009. Archived from the original on January 2, 2013. Retrieved December 15, 2010.
- Sutherly, Ben (June 26, 2010). "Brown Publishing, creditors clash over sale plans". Dayton Daily News. Retrieved December 15, 2010.
- "Business Headlines: Local Newspapers Have New Owners". Dayton Daily News. via HighBeam Research. May 21, 2011. Archived from the original on June 10, 2014. Retrieved June 8, 2012. (subscription required)
- Business Wire, Versa Capital Announces the Formation of Civitas Media, LLC, retrieved April 10, 2017
- "Quarterly Updates - 2nd Quarter 2017". Dirks, Van Essen & Murray. 2017-06-30. Retrieved 2017-10-28.
|This article about an Ohio newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|