Skyline of Simpelveld
Location in Limburg
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Richard de Boer (VVD)|
|• Total||16.02 km2 (6.19 sq mi)|
|• Land||16.02 km2 (6.19 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.00 km2 (0.00 sq mi)|
|Elevation||138 m (453 ft)|
|• Density||660/km2 (1,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Simpelveld (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈsɪmpəlˌvɛlt] (listen); Limburgish: Zumpelveld) is a municipality and a town in the southeastern Netherlands. It is part of the municipal cooperative unit Parkstad Limburg.
The population centre of Simpelveld has 28 national monuments, amongst which are the Oude Molen and the Saint Remigius Church. Simpelveld has a heritage railway station and is the home base of the South Limburg Railway Company. On one weekend in October there is a Day out with Thomas from the children's television series Thomas and Friends.
Besides these official centres there are other hamlets which fall under the municipality: Baaks-Sweijer, Baneheide, Bocholtzerheide, Bosschenhuizen, Broek, Bulkemsbroek, In de Gaas, Huls, Molsberg, Prickart, Vlengendaal, Waalbroek, Zandberg.
The municipality has two churches within its borders:
The city also has two monasteries, these are the Loreto monastery and Huize Damiaan. Neither of the monasteries are inhabited.
Dutch topographic map of the municipality of Simpelveld, June 2015
Simpelveld is part of The Netherlands and therefore the official language is Dutch. A lot of people also speak Simpelvelds, a regional language that depending of the definition belongs to Ripuarian or Limburgish. It is also referred to as Southeast Limburgish.
- "Burgemeester mr. R. (Richard) de Boer" [Mayor mr. R. (Richard) de Boer] (in Dutch). Gemeente Simpelveld. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 6369AH". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- Media related to Simpelveld at Wikimedia Commons
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Simpelveld.|
|This Dutch Limburg location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|