Sir David Gilmour, 4th Baronet
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sir David Robert Gilmour, 4th Baronet, is the eldest son of Ian Gilmour, Baron Gilmour of Craigmillar, 3rd Baronet, and Lady Caroline Margaret Montagu-Douglas-Scott, the youngest daughter of the 8th Duke of Buccleuch. HRH Princess Margaret was his sponsor at his christening. He became the 4th baronet on the death of his father in 2007.
He has also reviewed for publications such as the London Review of Books, the Financial Times, Corriere della Sera, the Times Literary Supplement, The Spectator, the Independent on Sunday, and the New York Review of Books.
He married Sarah Anne Bradstock, only daughter of Michael Hilary George Bradstock on 27 September 1975. They have four children:
- Rachel Ann Caroline Gilmour (21 December 1977)
- Alexander Ian Michael Gilmour (19 February 1980)
- Katharine Victoria Mary Gilmour (1984)
- Laura Elizabeth Rose Gilmour (1985)
- Dispossessed. The Ordeal of the Palestinians 1917-1980, (1980)
- Lebanon: The Fractured Country, (1983)
- The Transformation of Spain: from Franco to the Constitutional Monarchy, (1985)
- The Last Leopard: A Life of Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa, (1988, new edition by Eland published in 2007)
- The Hungry Generations, (1991)
- Cities of Spain, (1992)
- Curzon: Imperial Statesman (1994) Duff Cooper Prize, shortlisted for Whitbread Prize, Saltire Prize and Marsh Biography Award
- The French and their Revolution (ed), (1988)
- Paris & Elsewhere (ed), (1998)
- The Long Recessional: The Imperial Life of Rudyard Kipling (2002) (Elizabeth Longford Historical Biography Prize 2003)
- The Ruling Caste: Imperial Lives in the Victorian Raj (2005)
- The Pursuit of Italy: A History of a Land, its Regions and their Peoples (2011),
- The British In India: A Social History of the Raj (2018)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-05-02. Retrieved 2012-08-31.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Gilmour, David (1 December 2012). "The Last Leopard: A life of Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa". Eland Publishing. Retrieved 30 January 2019 – via Amazon.
- Maxwell, Kenneth (29 December 1985). "Startling Normality". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- David Gilmour (13 November 2012). "The Pursuit of Italy: A History of a Land, Its Regions, and Their Peoples". Amazon.com. Retrieved 30 January 2019.
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
(of Liberton and Craigmillar)