This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
SKY Brasil Logo (November 2006–Present)
|Founded||11 November 1996|
Grupo Globo (7%)
|Parent||AT&T Latin America|
SKY Brasil is a company, owned by Vrio, which operates a subscription television service in Brazil. It produces TV content, and owns several TV channels.
SKY Mexico was founded on 25 July 1996, a joint venture between British Sky Broadcasting (BSkyB), News Corporation, Liberty Media and Grupo Televisa and was later launched on 15 December 1996. At the same time it was being set up in Brazil, where it involved BSkyB, News Corporation, Liberty Media and Organizações Globo. By May 2000, the company had extended throughout the rest of Latin America, launching in Central America, Argentina and Colombia but during Argentina's economic crisis, on 10 July 2002, with over 52,000 subscribers, Sky Argentina ceased all operations.
During the course of the decade, most Sky operations in Latin America were rebranded to DirecTV, with the exception of the Mexican and Brazilian operations, that in 2005 absorbed the DirecTV keeping the Sky name.
In May 2009, Sky Brazil launched its first ten HDTV channels in 1080i resolution (with the exception of ESPN HD (today ESPN+), which broadcasts in 720p). Currently, Sky Brazil has 57 channels in HDTV in total (note: Sex Zone HD is optional).
In 2016, Sky Brazil has reached more than 5.3 million subscribers, ranking as second in number of subscribers in Brazil. </ref>
- SKY Livre (Sky Free) - Digital decoder with free TV channels and optional prepaid channel packages
- Cine SKY - Movie rental service
- Cine SKY HD - Video On Demand service (Exclusive to Sky HDTV Plus subscribers) (used to be Sky On Demand)
- SKY Online - TV Everywhere service
- SKY Banda Larga (Sky Broadband) - 4G Internet via LTE routers
- SKY Tunes - Online audio channels via iOS
- Viva SKY - Loyalty program
- Sky Argentina cesa operaciones el 10 de julio
- DirectTV se va de México
- Sky Channel List
- Lucotti, Francisco (26 May 2016). "Pay-TV subscribers in Brazil fell 0.8% during 1Q 2016". Nextv News. Retrieved 10 February 2020.