|Born||December 19, 1972|
|Current group||National Ballet of Canada|
Born in Toronto, Ontario, she moved to Madrid, Spain at age five with her family, where she received dance training with Pedro de la Cruz. She also studied at the Princess Grace Academy in Monaco. In 1990, she returned to Canada to join the National Ballet of Canada, and was promoted to the rank of Principal Dancer in 2000. She has since danced roles such the title role in Cinderella and Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty. In November 2019, she celebrated her 30th anniversary with the National Ballet after a performance of Giselle.
The Los Angeles Magazine praised Rodriguez's performance as the titular role in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, for "perfectly capturing the mix of playful innocence and bewilderment as she encountered one strange scene after another during her journey." On Rodriguez's portrayal of the title role in Cinderella, the Toronto Star noted she "retain a youthful romantic freshness but also finds opportunities to refine her interpretation."
Rodriguez married Canadian figure skater, Kurt Browning, on June 30, 1996; they have two children. The family home in the Forest Hill area of Toronto suffered a fire on August 18, 2010. She was added to Canada's Walk of Fame in 2012.
- Hanna Glawari in The Merry Widow
- Odette/Odile in Swan Lake
- Juliet in Romeo and Juliet
- Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty
- The title role in Giselle
- The title role in Manon
- Hermione in The Winter's Tale
- Lise in La fille mal gardée
- Alice in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
- Romola in Nijinsky
- Anna Karenina
- Blanche DuBois in A Streetcar Named Desire
- Song of the Earth
- Terpsichore in Apollo
- Theme and Variations
- Diamond and Rubies in Jewels
- Dulcinea in Don Quixote (George Balanchine)
- "Sonia Rodriguez". National Ballet of Canada. Retrieved 17 April 2020.
- Smith, Kathleen (1 November 2019). "Sonia Rodriguez Celebrates 30 Years". National Ballet of Canada. Retrieved 17 April 2020.
- Bernstein, Leilah (22 October 2012). "Review: The National Ballet of Canada at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion". Los Angeles Baller.
- Crabb, Michael (14 November 2016). "National Ballet of Canada's Cinderella is embodiment of the heart's desire: review". Toronto Star.
- Kurt Browning and Sonia Rodriguez home damaged in fire, CBC News; accessed April 20, 2014.
- "Canada's Walk of Fame Announces the 2012 Inductees". canadaswalkoffame.com. 2012-06-19. Archived from the original on April 21, 2014. Retrieved September 1, 2012.
- "Principal Dancer Xiao Nan Yu Bids Farewell In The Merry Widow". Broadway World Toronto. 3 June 2019.
- "Cupcakes & Conversation with Sonia Rodriguez, Principal, The National Ballet of Canada". Ballet News. 8 May 2014.
- Citron, Paula (11 February 2002). "Falling in love all over again". The Globe and Mail.
- Crabb, Michael (9 November 2014). "Manon, an intense production about ill-fated love: Review". Toronto Star.
- Gallaghar, Lauren (2 August 2016). "National Ballet of Canada – The Winter's Tale – New York". DanceTabs.
- Citron, Paula (3 May 2012). "La Fille mal gardée: A delightful dance and pony show". The Globe and Mail.
- "The National Ballet of Canada | Nijinsky Tours to San Francisco Principal Casting Annouced". 14 March 2018.
- Porter, Ryan (6 November 2018). "Three dancers take on one tragic heroine in the National Ballet of Canada's Anna Karenina". Toronto Star.
- Crabb, Michael (4 June 2017). "National Ballet's take on A Streetcar Named Desire inspired: review". Toronto Star.