Sonic the Hedgehog (IDW Publishing)
|Sonic the Hedgehog|
Promotional artwork from New York Comic-Con by Tyson Hesse (2017)
Sega of America
|Publication date||April 4, 2018–present|
|Written by||Ian Flynn|
Sonic the Hedgehog is a comic book series based on the Sega video game franchise, published by IDW Publishing. It is the third licensed comic book iteration based on Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog intellectual property, after Fleetway Publications's Sonic the Comic and Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog series.
On July 21, 2017, IDW Publishing announced a deal with Sega to produce a new series of Sonic comics following the cancellation of Archie Comics' previous series. The new series would begin with a four-week long event where the first four issues will be released each week in April 2018, followed by a monthly release of subsequent issues starting in May 2018. Writer Ian Flynn is confirmed to return alongside artist Tyson Hesse.
During New York Comic Con 2017, Ian Flynn confirmed that characters old and new will be featured in the upcoming series hinting that characters from the games and the original comics might possibly return in the series.
On January 11, 2018, IDW launched a Facebook page entitled "IDW Sonic Comic Squad!", where they will release all the latest news on the IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comics. A couple of days later IDW revealed that Tracy Yardley, who originally worked on Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comics, will be one of the pencillers for IDW's incarnation. Several other artists from the Archie Comics series have also contributed to the IDW series.
The story begins shortly after the events of Sonic Forces.  The Resistance has defeated Doctor Eggman, who has gone missing, but his remaining robots continue to attack small villages around the world. Sonic must work together with old friends like Tails, Knuckles and Amy, along with new allies like Tangle the Lemur and Whisper the Wolf, in order to protect the innocent, fight against Eggman's robots and new foes like Rough and Tumble the skunks, and find out who is controlling Eggman's forces. Sonic eventually discovers that Eggman, having sustained amnesia after their last battle, has taken the friendly persona of "Mr. Tinker", whom Sonic decides is reformed. It is soon revealed Metal Sonic is leading the Eggman Empire in his master's absence, and eventually conquers Angel Island, leading the heroes to take him on. Utilizing the powers of the Master Emerald, Metal Sonic assumes a Super Mode, and then assumes a stronger, monstrous form called Master Overlord, but through Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles' efforts, Metal Sonic is thwarted and Angel Island liberated. Meanwhile, Mr. Tinker is kidnapped by Rough and Tumble at the behest of new villain Dr. Starline, who restores him back into Dr. Eggman. Eggman then develops the Metal Virus, a contagion that turns organic material to machines under his control, and prepares to unleash it on the world.
|Title||Issue(s)||Start date||End date||Note|
|Sonic the Hedgehog||1-||April 2018||N/A||Began weekly publications in April 2018 and then it became monthly in May 2018.|
|Sonic: Tangle & Whisper||0-||April 2019||N/A||An upcoming comic miniseries and spinoff of the main series featuring the adventures of two original fan favorite characters from the main series, Tangle the Lemur and Whisper the Wolf.|
|Title||Issue(s)||Start date||End date||Note|
|Team Sonic Racing||One-shot||December 2018||A prequel story for the upcoming Sonic game Team Sonic Racing.|
|Sonic the Hedgehog Annual 2019||One-shot||May 2019||An annual edition comic which contains 5 new stories.|
- Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 1-4 Box Set (June 2018) (collects issues #1-4)
- Team Sonic Racing Plus Deluxe Turbo Championship Edition one-shot (May 2019) (a reprint of the story featured in Team Sonic Racing One-Shot)
- Sonic the Hedgehog Volume 1: Fallout! (September 2018) (a reprint of #1-4 containing the arc "Fallout!")
- Sonic the Hedgehog Volume 2: The Fate of Dr. Eggman (February 2019) (a reprint of #5-8)
- Sonic the Hedgehog Volume 3: Battle For Angel Island (July 2019) (a reprint of #9-12)
- Sonic the Hedgehog Volume 4: Infection (September 2019) (a reprint of #13-16)
Bleeding Cool gave the first issue a score of 6.5/10, praising the art and creativity of the story but criticizing Sonic's characterization: "Sonic is an insufferable character... He's smug, annoying, and radical in that 1990's sense."
- "SEGA® and IDW Publishing Dash Forward with Partnership Deal". IDW Publishing. July 21, 2017. Retrieved November 24, 2017.
- "New Sonic the Hedgehog™ Series Will Launch in April 2018 with a Four-Week Event". IDW Publishing. October 8, 2017. Retrieved November 24, 2017.
- "Sonic IDW NYCC Ian Flynn"./
- "New 'Sonic The Hedgehog' Comics Revealed".
- "EXCLUSIVE: Sonic the Hedgehog Speeds Into the IDW Era with Two New Covers". 23 January 2018.
- "Sonic The Hedgehog Returns to Comics in 2018 - Nerdist". 23 January 2018.
- Davison, Joshua (April 5, 2018). "Sonic the Hedgehog #1 Review: Creative Action Scenes Make Up for an Annoying Lead". Bleeding Cool. Retrieved 6 April 2018.