South High Community School
|South High Community School|
170 Apricot St
|School district||Worcester Public Schools|
|Teaching staff||92 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.1|
|Color(s)||Red, black, and white|
South High Community School (SHCS) is a high school located in Worcester, Massachusetts, United States. It is a public high school of choice for students across the City of Worcester. Class size varies from 8 to 30 students, with a 17:1 student/teacher ratio.
According to the Massachusetts Department of Education, the demographic profile of South High was as follows in the 2015–2016 school year:
- Male - 52.5%
- Female - 47.5%
- Hispanic - 42%
- White - 23.3%
- African American - 17.4%
- Asian - 14.5%
- Multiracial, non-Hispanic - 2.6%
- Native American - 0.1%
- Cedric Ball (1986/87) - NBA basketball player with the LA Clippers
- Harvey Ball - artist known for designing the smiley face
- Robert Benchley - humorist known for writing for The New Yorker and writing and starring in the Academy Award-winning short film How to Sleep
- Robert H. Goddard (1904) - engineer, professor, physicist, inventor; credited with creating and building the world's first liquid-fueled rocket
- Arthur Kennedy - Tony (1949) and Golden Globe (1955) winning actor with five Oscar nominations
- David LeBoeuf (2008) - state representative (D-Worcester), 2019-present
- Joyner Lucas - two-time Grammy-nominated rapper
- Paul V. Mullaney (1938) - Mayor of Worcester (1963-65) and Marine Corps veteran of World War II and the Korean War
- "School Choice Receiving District Status" (PDF). March 25, 2015. Retrieved December 2, 2017.
- "South High Community School". Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- "South High Community (03480520) Enrollment Data". MDESE. Retrieved December 2, 2017.
- "South High Community School Overview". U.S. News. Retrieved December 2, 2017.
- "Dr. Robert H. Goddard Biographical Note | Archives and Special Collections | Clark University".
|This Massachusetts school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|