Speed of Life (David Bowie song)
|"Speed of Life"|
|Song by David Bowie|
|from the album Low|
|Released||14 January 1977|
|Producer(s)||David Bowie and Tony Visconti|
"Speed of Life" introduces the Low album, and, coupled with the similarly upbeat instrumental "A New Career in a New Town", provides a front bookend for the A-side of the album. The track makes several immediate implications about the content of the album, with its heavy use of synthesizers as both effects and instruments, with the presence of Dennis Davis' drums and the overlaid harmonizer creating a distinctly different mix than any previous Bowie album.
Lyrics were originally planned for this song, but Bowie abandoned the idea after several attempts, deciding that the piece stood better on its own.
- Performances from the Isolar II Tour have been released on Stage (1978) and Welcome to the Blackout (2018).
- It was released as the B-side of the single "Be My Wife" in June 1977.
- It also appeared in the Sound + Vision box set.
- It was released as a picture disc in the RCA Life Time picture disc set.
- ST-37 - Only Bowie (1995)
- Insect Surfers - Ziggy Played Surf Guitar (Various Artists Compilation) (2011)
- Greatorex, Johnathan. "Just a Mortal With Potential." Teenage Wildlife. Nov. 1996. 6 Mar. 2006 <http://www.teenagewildlife.com/Interact/fc/misc/JG/index.html>.
- Griffin, R. "Low." Bowie Golden Years. Jan. 2005. 6 Mar. 2006 <http://www.bowiegoldenyears.com/low.html>.
- Wilcken, Hugo, Low, Continuum International Publishing Group Inc, 2005, ISBN 0-8264-1684-5