St. Xavier High School (Louisville)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Saint Xavier High School|
1609 Poplar Level Road
|Type||Private, All-male, college preparatory|
("Let God be our light.")
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic |
|Average class size||20 students|
|Student to teacher ratio||13:1|
|Campus||Urban, 54 acres, 6 buildings|
|Color(s)||Green and Gold|
|Athletics||10 KHSAA Sports|
4 Club Sports
|Athletics conference||Kentucky High School Athletic Association|
|Team name||St. Xavier Tigers|
St. Xavier High School is an all-male, college preparatory Xaverian Brothers-sponsored school in Louisville, Kentucky. It is located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Louisville. St. Xavier was founded in 1864 by Br. Paul Van Gerwen, C.F.X. The school is located on Poplar Level Road. St. Xavier is the only school in Kentucky that has received the Blue Ribbon of Excellence Award four times, the most recent of which was awarded in 2016. St. Xavier has also been renovating the school grounds with Project X, an initiative to raise $28 million for new academic and athletic facilities. In total Project X raised $29.1 million for the school. In 2016, it was voted "Best Private High School" in the Louisville Magazine.
St. Xavier has the largest enrollment of boys among Kentucky high schools,[a] and had been the only school in Kentucky to have won a state championship in every Kentucky High School Athletic Association (KHSAA)-sanctioned sport open to boys before the KHSAA began sponsoring coeducational championships in archery and bass fishing in the early 21st century. St. Xavier has one of the most successful athletic program in Kentucky, having won 172 boys' state championships across 13 different KHSAA sports. In 2005, St. Xavier was ranked #14 in "Sports Illustrated" Best High School Athletic Programs. In the 2009 fall semester, Saint X won all four fall sports. This is an unprecedented feat, taking home championships in soccer, football, cross country and golf.
The annual football game with traditional local rival Trinity High School at Cardinal Stadium is promoted by the schools as the most-attended annual regular-season high school football game in the country, typically drawing over 35,000 fans. The largest crowd was 38,500 and the 2007 edition of the game had an announced attendance of 37,550. Both teams have also met in the KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl. As of 2018, St. Xavier has 12 state championships, with the last one being in 2009. In 2018, St. X announced that Kevin Wallace would be named new football head coach after Will Wolford announced that he would resign. The swim team has won thirty-one consecutive state swimming championships, a national record for consecutive state championships out of any sport. They have beat the record from a high school in the Hawaiian Islands . In addition to this, the swim team has captured 55 swimming state titles overall, which is a national record. The golf team has won the McDonald's Tournament of Champions national event multiple times and sent numerous golfers on to NCAA Division I colleges such as Kentucky, Louisville, Alabama, Wake Forest, Clemson, Cornell, Tennessee, Florida, Florida State, Oklahoma State, Ohio State and Purdue. In 2016, St. X made a 3-peat by winning its 21st title and joined Louisville Male High School to win more than 2 more titles.
As of 2018, the cross country team has won 6 of the last 7 State Championships, and was nationally ranked in the top 15 in 2012-13. In 2012, the team which consisted of 6 future NCAA DI athletes, qualified for and competed in Nike Cross Nationals, the only consensus national championship competition in all of American High School athletics. The Tigers placed 14th. In 2016, the cross country team was ranked 13th at the nationals. In addition, it won several titles along with Floyd Central at a Tiger Run meeting. The soccer team has won eight state championships since 2000, earning top 10 rankings in national polls while doing so.
Saint Xavier has done renovations with Project X. Project X first did renovations with a $3 million classroom. Project X also resulted in a new tennis facility, complete with concessions and seating for 300 spectators, a new baseball stadium and a new 6,100 seat football stadium, complete with two private suites, an 8-lane rubberized track, new space for offices and locker rooms. The Tigers opened the new baseball complex on March 26, 2007, with a 10-0 win over Meade County, opened the football stadium on August 24, 2007, with an 18-14 victory over Ballard and opened the 2,000 seat basketball arena with a 73-53 win over South Oldham on January 20, 2009.
With the conclusion of Project X, St. Xavier now boasts some of the best high school athletic facilities in the nation. Including an indoor golf facility on campus.
Entertainment and media
Within the past four years, Saint Xavier has transformed an existing computer lab space into a high-tech Innovation Lab. This space is open to all students and a variety of classes which make use of the technology within to enhance further learning in the classroom. The technology inside includes
- 5 state-of-the-art 3D Printers
- A digital laser cutter
- A digital vinyl cutter
- A CNC Router
- Table Top drill press
- Dremel tools
- 30 Lego NXT and EV3 programmable robots
- 1 NAO Humanoid Programmable Robot
- In the cited KHSAA enrollment listing, schools are organized from smallest enrollment to largest, without regard to whether a school is single-sex or coeducational. However, all listings include separate entries for enrollments of boys and girls.
- "2018–2019 Audited School Enrollments (in alphabetic order)" (PDF). Kentucky High School Athletic Association. Retrieved March 21, 2019.
- Staff. "Saint Xavier High School Founder". Archived from the original on March 11, 2007. Retrieved January 29, 2007.
- "St. X Named National Blue Ribbon School". Saint Xavier High School. Retrieved September 29, 2016.
- "Project X Facts". Archived from the original on April 2, 2010.
- Myers, Elizabeth. "Best of Louisville 2016 Finalists Announced". Louisville Magazine. Retrieved May 24, 2016.
- "2018–2019 Audited School Enrollments (in size order)" (PDF). Kentucky High School Athletic Association. Retrieved March 21, 2019.
- "Saint Xavier: Tradition Unequaled". Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "Sports Illustrated: Best Prep Athletic Programs in the Nation". SportsOnTheSide. 1995–2005.CS1 maint: date format (link)
- "St. Xavier 2009 Kentucky High School Football". Scoreboard KHSAA. 2009.
- "St. Xavier 2009 Kentucky High School Boys Soccer". KHSAA Scoreboard Soccer. 2009.
- Frakes, Jason (December 7, 2009). "St. X enjoys a fall sweep: Tigers win all 4 boys' state titles". Courier.
- Patrick, Dick (September 21, 2005). "High school rivals are like family". USA Today. Retrieved July 6, 2014.
- Karell, Daniel. "Top five most-attended St. X-Trinity games". usatodayhhs.com. USA Today. Retrieved September 30, 2016.
- "Trinity beats St. Xavier in Class 6A final behind Rondale Moore's big game". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- "Flashback: St. Xavier vs. Trinity". WSTX Sports. Retrieved October 2, 2014.
- "St. Xavier Football Year-by-Year Results". Max Preps.
- "Kevin Wallace named new football coach at St. Xavier High School". courier journal. Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- Frakes, Jason. "St. Xavier High School football coach Will Wolford steps down". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved December 19, 2017.
- Bittenbender, Steve. "title". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved February 24, 2018.
- Revel, Conor. "St. X swimming wins 30th straight state title and 54th overall". Catholic Sports Net. Retrieved February 24, 2018.
- Moore, Josh. "Golf powerhouse St. Xavier three-peats at KHSAA state tournament". Lexington Herald-Leader. Retrieved October 8, 2016.
- "KHSAA Cross Country Championship records" (Microsoft Word, PDF). KHSAA.
- "St. Xavier cross country 13th at nationals". USA Today Hss. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- "St. Xavier, Floyd Central take titles at Tiger Run cross country meet". Retrieved August 26, 2017.
- "KHSAA Soccer Championship records" (Microsoft Word, PDF). KHSAA.
- "St. X wraps up $3 million classroom renovation project". Louisville Business Journal. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- "St. Xavier 2007 Kentucky High School Baseball". Kentucky High School Athletic Association. 2007.
- "St. Xavier 73 South Oldham 53". Max Preps. 2009.
- "St. X adding indoor golf facility on campus". USA TODAY High School Sports. June 24, 2016. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- "Chris Burke Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- "Paul Byrd Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- "Innovation Lab". saintx.com. Saint X.