St Michael & All Angels, Enfield
Designed by Richard Herbert Carpenter in an imitation of a 14th-century Gothic style, the church was begun in 1873 as a chapel of ease to the parish church of St Andrew. The following year a shortage of funds brought construction to a halt, and the west end was closed off with a temporary wall. Built of ragstone, the church consists of a three-bay aisled nave, a north transept, and a vaulted apsidal chancel, arranged in a manner advocated by the Tractarian Movement. The temporary wall was finally replaced with a stone wall and a narthex in 1963.
A parish was formed in 1931.
- T F T Baker, R B Pugh (Editors), A P Baggs, Diane K Bolton, Eileen P Scarff, G C Tyack (1976). "Enfield: Churches". A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5. Institute of Historical Research. Retrieved 3 February 2017.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St Michael, Gordon Hill.|
|This article about a church or other Christian place of worship in London is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|