States and regions of Somalia
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Somaliland is a region a self-declared state, internationally considered to be an autonomous region of Somalia. The regions of northeastern state of Puntland formed in 1998. Galmudug is another regional administration that emerged in central Somalia. Jubaland in the far south is a fourth state region within Somalia. In November 2014, a new South West Somalia was likewise established. In October 2016, a formation conference was also launched for a new Hirshabelle state.
The Federal Parliament is tasked with selecting the ultimate number and boundaries of the autonomous regional states (officially, Federal Member States) within the Federal Republic of Somalia. To this end, the legislature in December 2014 passed a law establishing the Boundary and Federalization Commission. The body is mandated with determining the boundaries of the country's constituent Federal Member States, as well as arbitrating between these regional states on their respective jurisdiction.
Federal member states
Below are the regions of Somalia, along with their capitals shown in brackets:
- Bakool (Hudur)
- Banadir (Mogadisho)
- Bari (Bosaso)
- Bay (Baidoa)
- Galgaduud (Dhusamareb)
- Gedo (Garbahaarreey)
- Hiiraan (Beledweyn)
- Lower Juba (Kismayo)
- Lower Shabelle (Merca)(established 1984)
- Middle Juba (Bu'ale)
- Middle Shebelle (Jowhar)
- Mudug (Galkayo)
- Nugal (Garowe)
President of Somalia Mohamed Siad Barre established five of the these gobol in 1974-75 for political reasons: Middle Juba, Lower Juba, Gedo, Bay and Bakool; Banaadir shrank to Mogadishu city only at the same time.
Note: Khatumo State is not recognised by Puntland, the Somali government, or Self Declared Republic of Somaliland.
- "Somalia". World Factbook. Central Intelligence Agency. 2009-05-14. Retrieved 2009-05-31.
- "SOMALIA: South-west state endorses a new constitution". Raxanreeb. 8 November 2014. Archived from the original on 9 November 2014. Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- "New President elected for Hir-Shabelle state". Garoweonline. 17 October 2016. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "The Federal Republic of Somalia - Harmonized Draft Constitution" (PDF). Federal Government of Somalia. Archived from the original on January 24, 2013. Retrieved 2 August 2012.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- "Guidebook to the Somali Draft Provisional Constitution". Archived from the original on 14 August 2013. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "Somali parliament endorses the bill of boundaries and federalism". Goobjoog. 21 December 2014. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "Cabinet approves Bills for National Electoral Commission, Boundary and Federalization Commission and a $216 M budget for 2015". Goobjoog. 18 November 2014. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- Mohamed Haji Mukhtar (2011). Historical Dictionary of Somalia. Lanham, MD and Oxford: Scarecrow Press. p. 129.
- Mukhtar, 2011, p.48