States and regions of Somalia
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
In May 1991, regions in northwestern Somalia declared state of Somaliland (which aims for independence, although not recognized by any government). The regions of northeastern state of Puntland formed in 1998. Galmudug is another regional administration that emerged just south of Puntland. Jubaland in the far south is a fourth state region within Somalia. In November 2014, a new South West State was likewise established. In October 2016, a formation conference was also launched for a new Hirshabelle state.
The Federal Parliament is tasked with selecting the ultimate number and boundaries of the autonomous regional states (officially, Federal Member States) within the Federal Republic of Somalia. To this end, the legislature in December 2014 passed a law establishing the Boundary and Federalization Commission. The body is mandated with determining the boundaries of the country's constituent Federal Member States, as well as arbitrating between these regional states on their respective jurisdiction.
- South West State
- Note: Somaliland declared independence in 1991 and has no relations with the Government of Somalia. Despite that, no country has recognized Somaliland's independence. The Government of Somalia considers Somaliland as a federal member state.
- Awdal, (Borama)
- Woqooyi Galbeed, (Hargeisa)
- Togdheer, (Burao)
- Las anod
- Sanaag, (Erigavo)
- Bari, (Bosaso)
- Mudug, (Galkayo)
- Galgaduud, (Dhusamareb)
- Nugal, (Garowe)
- Hiiraan, (Beledweyn)
- Middle Shebelle, (Jowhar)
- Bay, (Baidoa)
- Bakool, (Bakool)
- Lower Shabelle, (Jowhar)
- Gedo], (Garbahaarreey)
- Middle Juba, (Bu'ale)
- Lower Juba, (Kismayo)
Unrecognized and proposed states
Note: Awdalland and Zeila & Lughaya State hold competing claims over the Awdal Region. Both do not recognize secessionist Somaliland.
Note: Khatumo State is not recognised by Putland, the Somali government, or secessionist Somaliland.
- "Somalia". World Factbook. Central Intelligence Agency. 2009-05-14. Retrieved 2009-05-31.
- "SOMALIA: South-west state endorses a new constitution". Raxanreeb. 8 November 2014. Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- "New President elected for Hir-Shabelle state". Garoweonline. 17 October 2016. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "The Federal Republic of Somalia - Harmonized Draft Constitution" (PDF). Federal Government of Somalia. Archived from the original on January 24, 2013. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "Guidebook to the Somali Draft Provisional Constitution". Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "Somali parliament endorses the bill of boundaries and federalism". Goobjoog. 21 December 2014. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "Cabinet approves Bills for National Electoral Commission, Boundary and Federalization Commission and a $216 M budget for 2015". Goobjoog. 18 November 2014. Retrieved 19 November 2014.