Stirling North, South Australia
|Population||2,673 (2016 census)|
17 February 1994 (locality)
|Time zone||ACST (UTC+9:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||ACST (UTC+10:30)|
|Location||311 km (193 mi) North West of Adelaide|
|LGA(s)||City of Port Augusta|
Stirling North is a town located 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) east of Port Augusta in South Australia. The obsolete Leigh Creek coal rail line which runs between Port Augusta and Stirling North is the official border line separating the two towns. It acts primarily as a satellite town to Port Augusta with the town's railway station lying at a major rail junction linking the Port Augusta power station and the main east-west rail link to the coal rail link to Leigh Creek. It also lies on the junction of the Augusta Highway and the Flinders Ranges Way. At the 2016 census, Stirling North had a population of 2,673.
The town of Stirling North was surveyed in 1859 as "Stirling North" after Edward Stirling Snr, but was renamed 'Catninga' after a nearby creek. In 1916 however, this decision was overturned and the name was reverted to 'Stirling North'.
The town has existed mainly to service the railways, with Leigh Creek coal freighted down to Port Augusta for use in the power station. The historic Pichi Richi Railway runs through Stirling North, between Port Augusta and Quorn, one of the only tourist attractions within the town.
Stirling North is not normally a tourist destination, but is commonly used as a service stop by travellers who do not want to travel the extra 7 km into Port Augusta. The town is situated at the base of the Southern Flinders Ranges, and is often used by people travelling north.
- "Search results for 'Stirling North, LOCB' with the following datasets being selected - 'Suburbs and Localities', 'Postcodes', 'Counties', 'Hundreds', 'Local Government Areas', 'SA Government Regions', 'Railway' and 'Gazetteer'". Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Stirling North (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2 January 2019.
- "GEOGRAPHICAL NAMES ACT 1991, Notice to Assign" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. South Australian Government. 17 February 1994. p. 482. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- "Search result for " Stirling North (SUB)" (Record no SA0063254)". Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure , Government of South Australia. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "Monthly climate statistics: Summary statistics Port Augusta Power Station (nearest station)". Commonwealth of Australia , Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- Australian Towns, Cities and Highways, Stirling North, retrieved 15 May 2007
- "Port Augusta City Council Rural Roads" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. November 2014. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- Manning Index of South Australia, Stirling North, archived from the original on 29 January 2007, retrieved 2007-05-15
- South Australian State Gazetteer, Stirling North, archived from the original on 30 September 2007, retrieved 15 May 2007
- Port Augusta City Council, Pichi Richi, retrieved 15 May 2007
- "Davenport Reservoir and Storage Tank". South Australian Heritage Register. Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources. Archived from the original on 15 February 2016. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Flinders Ranges and Outback Town Directory, Stirling North, archived from the original on 29 August 2007, retrieved 15 May 2007