Sze-Tsen Hu (胡世楨)
|Born||9 October 1914|
|Died||6 May 1999(aged 84)|
|Other names||Hu, Steve|
Sze-Tsen Hu (Chinese: 胡世楨; pinyin: Hú Shìzhēn; Wade–Giles: Hu Shih-chen; 9 October 1914 – 6 May 1999), also known as Steve Hu, was a Chinese-American mathematician, specializing in homotopy theory.
Hu held a visiting lectureship at Tulane University for 1949–1950 and was a visiting scholar from 1950 to 1952 at the Institute for Advanced Study. He was an associate professor at Tulane University in 1952–1955, a professor in 1955–1956 at the University of Georgia, and from 1956 to the end of 1959 a professor at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. In January 1960 he became a professor at UCLA, where he remained until his retirement as professor emeritus in 1982. He was an invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in 1950 at Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- "Extension and classification of the mappings of a finite complex into a topological group or an n-sphere". Annals of Mathematics. 50 (1): 158–173. January 1949. doi:10.2307/1969359. JSTOR 1969359.
- "On generalising the notion of fibre spaces to include the fibre bundles". Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 1: 756–762. 1950. doi:10.1090/s0002-9939-1950-0038657-8. MR 0038657.
- "The equivalence of fiber bundles". Annals of Mathematics. 53: 256–275. 1951. doi:10.2307/1969542. JSTOR 1969542.
- "On local structure of finite–dimensional groups". Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 73: 383–400. 1952. doi:10.1090/s0002-9947-1952-0053118-4. MR 0053118.
- "The homotopy addition theorem". Annals of Mathematics. 58 (1): 108–122. July 1953. doi:10.2307/1969822. JSTOR 1969822.
- "Axiomatic approach to the homotopy groups". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 62: 490–504. 1956. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1956-10038-4. MR 0080304.
- Introduction to Homological Algebra. San Francisco: Holden Day. 1968.
- Homotopy theory. Academic Press. 1959.
- Threshold Logic. University of California Press. 1965.
- Introduction to General Topology. San Francisco: Holden Day. 1966.
- Homology theory. San Francisco: Holden Day. 1966.
- Cohomology theory. Chicago: Markham. 1968.
- Mathematical Theory of Switching Circuits and Automata. University of California Press. 1968; 258 pages
- Differentiable Manifolds. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston. 1969.
- Hu, Sze-Tsen — angel fire.com/zine2.jungchiu
- Sze-Tsen Hu at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Hu, Sze-Tsen | Institute for Advanced Study". ias.edu. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- Massey, W.S. (1960). "Review: Homotopy theory by Sze-Tsen Hu" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 66: 475–479. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1960-10503-4.