Tell Me Something: The Songs of Mose Allison
|Tell Me Something: The Songs of Mose Allison|
|Studio album by|
|Released||8 October 1996|
|Studio||The Wool Hall, Bath, England|
|Producer||Van Morrison, Ben Sidran, Georgie Fame|
|Van Morrison chronology|
|Mose Allison chronology|
Tell Me Something: The Songs of Mose Allison is a collaboration by Northern Irish singer-songwriter Van Morrison, Georgie Fame, Mose Allison and Ben Sidran, released in 1996. It charted at No. 1 on the Top Jazz Albums chart.
The entire recording for this album was done in a day and all of the performances were live first or second takes. Featuring the songs of Mose Allison, the performers were Allison himself, Georgie Fame, Ben Sidran, and Van Morrison, a longtime admirer of Allison's work. The horns were arranged by Pee Wee Ellis. Morrison said he had wanted to make the record for a long time. Liner notes are by Ben Sidran.
Ben Sidran had said this on working with Van Morrison in the studio for the album:
Heʼs exactly as he appears to be onstage. He never does anything the same way twice. Everything put down in the studio is done live, so whatever you play will likely end up on the finished record.
|All About Jazz||(not rated) link|
All songs written by Mose Allison.
- "One of These Days" – 3:18
- "You Can Count on Me (To Do My Part)" – 3:22
- "If You Live" – 3:47
- "Was" – 3:28
- "Look Here" – 2:09
- "City Home" – 3:26
- "No Trouble Livin'" – 2:15
- "Benediction" – 3:01
- "Back on the Corner" – 2:23
- "Tell Me Something" – 2:40
- "I Don't Want Much" – 2:03
- "News Nightclub" – 2:43
- "Perfect Moment" – 2:13
- Van Morrison – vocals, harmonica
- Georgie Fame – vocals, Hammond organ
- Ben Sidran – vocals, piano
- Mose Allison – vocals, piano on "I Don't Want Much" and "Perfect Moment"
- Alec Dankworth – bass
- Ralph Salmins – drums
- Guy Barker – trumpet
- Pee Wee Ellis – tenor saxophone
- Leo Green – tenor saxophone
- Robin Aspland – Wurlitzer piano
Album – Billboard (North America)
|1996||Top Jazz Albums||1|