The Advocate (Newark)
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (April 2020)
The Newark Daily Advocate describes the Wright Brothers' flights of December 1903
The Advocate is the single remaining daily newspaper in Newark. Other early Newark newspapers (all now defunct) included the Newark Weekly American, Newark Leader, and Newark American Tribune.
In 1820, a 22-year-old local resident named Benjamin Briggs printed the first issue in a wooden stilt shanty over a frog pond on the west side of what is now Newark's downtown square. Briggs, beset with start-up problems, could only publish three issues in his first five months in business. However, within a year, he was publishing a four-page, four-column paper with the first page devoted to foreign news composed mostly of letters from other papers. During the middle of the century, the paper was a weekly edition, and served as an important regional news source during the American Civil War. In March 1882, the Advocate was sold to John A. Caldwell and soon became a daily newspaper.
Today, the Advocate occupies a 48,000-square-foot (4,500 m2) complex with about 200 employees. It is headquartered at 22 N. First Street in downtown Newark.
- “Thomson Corp. will sell The Advocate and other papers,” The Advocate, February 16, 2000.
|This article about an Ohio newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|