Tirabad is a village in Powys, Wales, not to be confused with a place of the same name in Iran. The name means "the abbot's land"; the village belonged to Strata Florida abbey in the Middle Ages. The village is located on the edge of the Crychan Forest and is 8 kilometres (5 mi) south of Llanwrtyd and 18 kilometres (10 mi) north of Llanymddyfri. Many people had to leave the village during World War II as the military used the area for artillery training, but the village expanded substantially in the 1950s, when the Forestry Commission, now defunct, began tree plantations and built about 25 houses, a school, a village hall and a shop for their employees.
St. David's Church, built in 1726, is the only Georgian church in Breconshire. No services are currently held at the church due to structural problems with the building, although work is underway to enable it to be reopened.
Just outside the village is the Tirabad Centre, an outdoor pursuits centre run by the Tirabad Residential Educational Trust and owned jointly by outsiders, three state schools in Berkshire, England - Charters in Sunningdale, The Emmbrook near Wokingham and Maiden Erlegh in Earley.
- "Parish profile for the benefices of Bleanau Irfon and Irfon Valley". Bleanau Irfon and Irfon Valley Benefices. Archived from the original on 2 April 2012. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- "St. David's Tirabad". Retrieved 18 September 2011.
|This Powys location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|