Tom and Jerry in War of the Whiskers
|Tom and Jerry in War of the Whiskers|
Ubi Soft (Europe)
|Platform(s)||PlayStation 2, GameCube, Xbox|
Tom and Jerry in War of the Whiskers is a fighting video game developed by VIS Entertainment, published by NewKidCo and distributed by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment for PlayStation 2, GameCube and Xbox. It is the sequel to the 3D cartoon fighting video game Tom and Jerry in Fists of Furry for Nintendo 64 and Microsoft Windows. It allows up to four players to play simultaneously. It was the only NewKidCo game ever released to receive a T rating. While the PlayStation 2 version saw releases in all major regions, the GameCube and Xbox versions were only exclusive to North America. The game received mixed reviews from critics, with Metacritic scores of 63/100, 64/100, and 50/100 on PlayStation 2, GameCube and Xbox, respectively.
The objective of the game is to defeat your opponent in a set amount of time and rounds. There are three types of gameplay. First is Challenge mode, where the player fights a certain set of characters (The opponents are the enemies of the character chosen from classic Tom and Jerry cartoons) until either Monster Jerry, a bigger and scary mutated Jerry, or Robot Cat, one of Tom's creations, is fought and knocked-out. Another is Versus, where a basic one-on-one fight is held. The last is Tag Battle, where a player work by himself or with a friend to fight two enemies.
The four modes of play are single player, versus, tag team, and team play. New characters are unlocked if the player wins against the computer. Characters include Tom, Jerry, Butch, Spike, Tyke, Robot Cat, Eagle, Lion, Nibbles, Monster Jerry, and Duckling, who use more than 75 weapons to beat each other with. Costumes are also unlocked, allowing specific characters to have more attire. 12 destructible environments include a kitchen, beach, snowy winter, cruise ship, junk yard, unstable construction site, Italian market, haunted house, mad scientist lab, western town, castle, Hell, and a boxing arena.
Tom and Jerry in War of the Whiskers was developed by VIS Entertainment, published by NewKidCo and distributed by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. It is a follow up to Tom and Jerry in Fists of Furry. The game was originally slated to the first quarter of 2002, but was delayed until the third quarter of that same year. It was first released for PlayStation 2 on October 22, 2002 in North America, with later PlayStation 2 releases in other regions. The game was also released on GameCube and Xbox exclusively in North America on November 25, 2003.
In Japan, where the PlayStation 2 version was ported and published by Success on January 29, 2004, Famitsu gave it a score of two sixes, one five, and one four for a total of 21 out of 40.
- "Tom & Jerry: Hige Hige Daisensou (PS2)". Famitsu. 789. January 30, 2004.
- "Tom and Jerry in War of the Whiskers (PS2)". GamesMaster. 2003.
- Provo, Frank (July 8, 2002). "Tom and Jerry: War of the Whiskers [sic] Review (PS2)". GameSpot. Retrieved January 28, 2016.
- Tha Wiz (February 6, 2003). "Tom and Jerry In War of the Whiskers - PS2 - Review". GameZone. Archived from the original on October 4, 2008. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- Roper, Chris (November 30, 2002). "Tom and Jerry in War of the Whiskers (PS2)". IGN. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- "Tom and Jerry in War of the Whiskers". Nintendo Power. 178: 122. April 2004.
- Nardozzi, Dale (January 26, 2004). "Tom and Jerry: War of the Whiskers [sic] Review (Xbox)". TeamXbox. Archived from the original on January 13, 2011. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- "Tom & Jerry in War of the Whiskers for GameCube Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- "Tom & Jerry in War of the Whiskers for PlayStation 2 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- "Tom & Jerry in War of the Whiskers for Xbox Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved January 28, 2017.