This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Tommy Nilsson at Sommarkrysset 2013
|Birth name||Erik Tommy Nilsson|
|Born||11 March 1960|
|Genres||Rock, soul, glam metal|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, voice actor|
|Associated acts||Horizont, Easy Action|
In the late 1970s, Nilsson was the singer of Swedish heavy metal band Horizont. The group released two albums but a French producer, Yves Accary, contacted Nilsson and signed him to a French record company. The singer enjoyed his first big hit in France in 1981 with the song "No Way No How". The single sold one million copies and the album 200 000 copies. No Way No How, his first album, included disco tracks and ballads. A follow up LP Tommy Nilsson was released in 1982 and this time the songs were composed by Tommy Nilsson and Alex R Contanstinos. This was a rock album, recorded in Stockholm and Los Angeles, but it did not sell very well and after two years of travelling between France and the United States, Nilsson decided to go back to Sweden.
He first joined another metal band, Easy Action, and they released two albums. The group eventually split up and Nilsson started a solo career. He represented Sweden in the Eurovision Song Contest 1989 with the ballad En dag (One day) and placed fourth. He has also made several Swedish hits in Sweden; Allt som jag känner (Everything that I feel) (a duet with Tone Norum) in 1987, Öppna din dörr (Open your door) in 1994, Dina färger var blå (Your colours were blue) in 1996, and Amelia in 2005. In 1988, he was given an award for best Swedish male artist and in 1990 received a gold disc for his album Follow the Road.
In 1997, Nilsson co-starred with Mary Wilson of the Supremes in "Supreme Soul", the story of a black singer who arrives in Sweden to do a show with a white singer. The show consisted of music, as well as humorous moments that highlighted culture differences between Sweden and the United States of America. In 2001, a compilation of his songs En samling 1981-2001, went platinum in Sweden. Nilsson has also collaborated with Swedish television, dubbed cartoons, and acted in several plays. In 2005, his album Tiden före nu reached # 2 on the Swedish sales chart just after its release.
Nilsson took part in the Swedish national Eurovision Song Contest selection again in 2007. He performed the power ballad Jag tror på människan (I believe in man) in Melodifestivalen 2007's first semi final in Jönköping on 3 February 2007, and qualified for the final round, along with Anna Book. The song placed tenth and last in the final after failing to receive any points from the judges or the televoting audience. Nevertheless, Jag tror på människan reached #9 on the Svensktoppen.
The singer played the part of Captain von Trapp in the musical The Sound of Music that ran in Stockholm beginning 29 September 2007, ending with a tour and the last performance in Örebro in May 2008. Nilsson has been married to the Swedish actress Malin Berghagen.
Nilsson is also known for his dubbing work for animated films and series, including Bonkers (TV series), Top Cat, Batman: The Animated Series, The Busy World of Richard Scarry, the voice of Patrick Star in SpongeBob SquarePants, among others. He dubbed Mel Gibson's voice of John Smith in Pocahontas.
- Studio albums
|1990||Follow the Road||11|
|1994||En kvinnas man||8|
|1999||Fri att vara här||57|
|2005||Tiden före nu||2|
|2013||Stay Straight on the Current Road||52|
- Compilation albums
|2001||En samling 1981-2001||2|
- Other albums
- 2010: I år är julen min (Christmas album)
|1988||"Allt som jag känner"
(with Tone Norum)
|"Maybe We're About to Fall in Love"||1|
|"Miss My Love"||18|
(with Zemya Hamilton)
|1994||"Öppna din dörr"||2|
|1995||"Dina färger var blå"||9|
|1999||"Här är jag nu"||46|
|2007||"Jag tror på människan"||12|
|2018||"Om du ser mig"||—|
- Other singles
- 1981: "In the Mean Meantimes" / "No Way No How"
- 1981: "Radio Me"
- 1987: "My Summer With You" (with Tone Norum)
- 1990: "Too Many Expectations"
- 1990: "Looking Through the Eyes of a Child"
- 1990: "Don't Walk Away"
- 1991: "Long Lasting Love"
- 1994: "En kvinnas man"
- 1994: "Lämnar du mig"
- 1994: "Marianne"
- 1996: "Om jag är den du vill ha"
- 1996: "Å så nära"
- 1996: "Du är för mig"
- 1999: "Din skugga på mitt täcke"
- 2001: "När du är här"
- 2002: "Nu är tid att leva" (with Åsa Jinder)
- 2005: "Amelia"
- 2005: "Allt ditt hjärta är"
- 2006: "Vi brann"
- 2016: "Håll mitt hjärta hårt" (with Patrik Isaksson and Uno Svenningsson as Patrik, Tommy & Uno (Melodifestivalen 2016)
- 2016: "My Love Is Not Blind"
- 2016: "Det sitter i dig"
- "Tommy Nilsson". Discogs. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- Edman, Julia (14 March 2020). "Lär känna Tommy Nilsson i Stjärnornas stjärna - Stjärnornas stjärna". TV4 (Sweden) (in Swedish). Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- "Tommy Nilssons nya bröllopsbesked med 19 år yngre Linda". Hänt.se. 10 May 2017. Retrieved 27 March 2020.
- "Tommy Nilsson discography". swedishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 13 November 2016.
- "Sverigetopplistan - Sveriges Officiella Topplista". Sverigetopplistan. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Om du ser mig by Tommy Nilsson". Spotify. Retrieved 30 March 2020.
- "Högre by Tommy Nilsson". Spotify. Retrieved 30 March 2020.
Media related to Tommy Nilsson at Wikimedia Commons
|Awards and achievements|
with "Stad i ljus"
| Sweden in the Eurovision Song Contest
with "Som en vind"