Traverse City State Park
|Keith J. Charters Traverse City |
Beachfront along Grand Traverse Bay
|Location||East Bay Township, Grand Traverse County, Michigan, United States|
|Nearest city||Traverse City, Michigan|
|Area||47 acres (19 ha)|
|Elevation||591 feet (180 m) |
|Designation||Michigan state park|
|Administrator||Michigan Department of Natural Resources|
|Website||Keith J. Charters Traverse City State Park|
The park is located on the southern shoreline of East Grand Traverse Bay, a bay of Lake Michigan, and is used mainly as a campground. US-31/M-72 runs between the park proper and a beach area; there is an overpass by way of which campers can get to the beach. The beach area has a playground, grills and picnic tables. The camping area has around 350 campsites, all with electricity. Other features include a dump and fill station, three bathroom buildings, and a recycling/trash center. To the south the park adjoins the TART Trail, a 10.5-mile bicycle trail that runs through Traverse City.
On July 21, 2011, the Michigan Natural Resources Commission augmented the name of the park with that of Keith J. Charters, a local conservationist, hunter and angler who served on the commission from 1994 to 2010. While signs at the park's entrance have added the new name, it is still usually referred to as "Traverse City State Park."
- "Traverse City State Park". IUCN. Retrieved April 7, 2020.
- "Traverse City State Park". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "When were Michigan state parks and recreation areas established?" (PDF). Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved April 7, 2020.
- "Keith J. Charters Traverse City State Park". Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved September 24, 2010.
- McGillivary, Brian (June 3, 2011). "Traverse City State Park to get new name". Traverse City Record-Eagle. Retrieved June 26, 2018.
- Keith J. Charters Traverse City State Park Michigan Department of Natural Resources
- Keith J. Charters Traverse City State Park Map Michigan Department of Natural Resources
|This Grand Traverse County, Michigan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|