Troy A. Paredes
Troy A. Paredes
|Securities and Exchange Commission|
August 1, 2008 – August 3, 2013
|Born||February 21, 1971|
|Alma mater||University of California at Berkeley, B.A. in economics, 1992 Yale Law School, J.D. 1996|
Troy A. Paredes served as a Commissioner of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) from August 1, 2008 to August 3, 2013. Commissioner Paredes was appointed to the SEC by President George W. Bush on June 30, 2008 to replace Paul S. Atkins, a Republican commissioner, who was retiring at the end of his term. Paredes was replaced by Michael Piwowar who was sworn in on August 15, 2013.
After graduating from law school, Troy A. Paredes practiced law in California at prominent national law firms working on a variety of transactions and legal matters involving financings, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate governance.
According to a 2008 Directorship report, "Paredes was a member of the corporate securities group at Irell & Manella, an associate in the corporate and energy and natural resources departments at Steptoe & Johnson, and worked in the corporate department at O'Melveny & Myers." A slightly earlier Wall Street Journal Law Blog article reports most of this information, adding that Paredes "focus[ed] on leveraged buyouts, mergers and acquisitions and other financings."
Paredes began his academic career as a Professor of Law in 2001 and Business in 2007 (by courtesy) at Washington University in St. Louis. He has also visited at UCLA as well as Georgetown University and is currently a Distinguished Policy Fellow and Lecturer at the University of Pennsylvania Law School. He has authored numerous academic articles and is a co-author (beginning with the 4th edition) of a multi-volume securities regulation treatise with Louis Loss and Joel Seligman entitled Securities Regulation.
Actions on the Commission
According to the Wall Street Journal' (WSJ) and Directorship reports, "[i]n working papers in 2006 and 2007, Paredes took issue with a controversial SEC rule increasing oversight of hedge fund advisors. The 2004 rule, adopted despite opposition of Atkins and fellow Republican commissioner Cynthia Glassman, was overturned by a federal appeals court in 2006." The WSJ Law Blog went on to say that Paredes favored the SEC "recommend[ing] best practices and leav[ing] compliance up to the industry."
- SEC - Press Release: Troy Paredes Sworn In as SEC Commissioner, August 1, 2008
- Washington University School of Law > News: Law Professor Nominated to SEC, May 2008
- SEC Biography: Commissioner Troy A. Paredes
- White House > News: Personnel Announcement, May 6, 2008
- "Bush to Tap Law Prof for SEC" Posted by Jamie Heller, May 6, 2008, 2:04 pm, with partial credit to the DJ wire report, by Judith Burns and Henry Pulizzi. Retrieved 2-1-09.
- Waddell, Melanie "Obama Names Replacements for SEC’s Walter, Paredes" ThinkAdvisor, May 24, 2013.
- "Michael Piwowar Sworn in as SEC Commissioner" SEC Press release, August 15, 2013.
- "Paredes to Succeed Atkins at SEC" Directorship: Board Intelligence May 09, 2008. Retrieved 2-1-09.
- Washington University School of Law > Faculty Biography: Troy Paredes
- Securities Regulation (2007 Supplement) Amazon listing, hardcover: 1204 pages, publisher Walters Kluwer Aspen, [Listed as (versus above)] 3rd Edition (2007), ISBN 0-7355-6086-2. Retrieved 2-1-09.