|No. 94 – Indianapolis Colts|
|Born:||January 30, 1995|
Tarboro, North Carolina
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||266 lb (121 kg)|
(Tarboro, North Carolina)
|NFL Draft:||2018 / Round: 2 / Pick: 64|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Tyquan Lewis (born January 30, 1995) is an American football defensive end for the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Ohio State, and high school football at Tarboro High School.
High school career
Lewis played high school football for Tarboro High School in Tarboro, North Carolina, where he was part of multiple state championship teams. As a senior, he was named to the Associated Press' North Carolina all-football team. Coming out of high school, Lewis was rate a four-star prospect by major recruiting services. A member of the class of 2013, Lewis committed to Ohio State University on September 20, 2012. Lewis also had scholarship offers from schools such as Louisiana State University, the University of North Carolina, Virginia Tech, and Clemson University. He had to convince his mother of the merits of going to Ohio State; she was worried because of the far distance from North Carolina.
For his sophomore season, Lewis broke into the regular rotation and led the team in quarterback sacks with eight and finished second to teammate Joey Bosa in tackles for loss with fourteen. Lewis received a national championship ring as the Buckeyes won their eighth National Championship in the first College Football Playoff in January 2015. For his efforts, Lewis was named Honorable Mention on the 2015 All-Big Ten Conference football team. He played through the season with an injured labrum, which he had injured the previous spring, and had a surgical procedure to repair the muscle the following January.
Lewis continued his award-winning ways in 2016, as he racked up 7.5 sacks, sealed a win against Wisconsin, was named a captain, and won multiple accolades while developing into a leader off the field. He was named first-team 2016 All-Big Ten Conference football team and was the Big Ten Conference Defensive Lineman of the Year. In January 2017, Lewis announced that he would skip the 2017 NFL Draft and return to OSU for his senior season.
Along with teammate J. T. Barrett, Lewis was named a Big Ten Preseason Honoree before his senior season. He later earned a spot on the first team of the 2017 All-Big Ten Conference football team. He also recorded 6.5 tackles for loss and five quarterback sacks. Lewis also tied the Ohio State football record for games played with 55. In the Senior Bowl, Lewis had one and a half sacks, including working with Ogbonnia Okoronkwo for a strip-sack.
On December 18, 2017, it was announced that Lewis had accepted his invitation to play in the 2018 Senior Bowl. On January 27, 2018, Lewis recorded four combined tackles and a sack as part of Denver Broncos' head coach Vance Joseph's North team that lost 45–16 to the South. Lewis attended the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, but was limited to the vertical jump and broad jump due to a bout with the flu. On March 22, 2018, Lewis participated at Ohio State's pro day and performed the majority of combine drills, but chose to skip the vertical jump. At the conclusion of the pre-draft process, Lewis was projected to be a third or fourth round pick by the majority of NFL draft experts and scouts. He was ranked the ninth best defensive end prospect in the draft by Scouts Inc. and was ranked the 12th best defensive end by DraftScout.com.
|Senior Bowl: Lewis earns a strip/sack|
|Tyquan Lewis' NFL Combine Workout|
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3 1⁄4 in
|33 3⁄4 in
|10 3⁄8 in
|4.69 s||1.57 s||2.71 s||4.34 s||7.20 s||35 1⁄2 in
|10 ft 2 in
|All values from NFL Combine/Ohio State's Pro Day|
The Indianapolis Colts selected Lewis in the second round (64th overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft. The Indianapolis Colts traded their third (67th overall) and sixth round (178th overall) picks to the Cleveland Browns and drafted Lewis with the second round pick they received in exchange.
|Colts draft Tyquan Lewis 64th overall|
|Instant Draft Grade: Tyquan Lewis|
On May 11, 2018, the Indianapolis Colts signed Lewis to a four-year, $4.36 million contract that includes a signing bonus of $1.25 million. He was placed on injured reserve on September 3, 2018 with a toe injury. He was activated off injured reserve on November 9, 2018.
Lewis has three younger brothers and one younger sister.
- "Tyquan Lewis Bio". Ohio State University. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- "Tyquan Lewis". Rivals.com. Yahoo!. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- "Tyquan Lewis". 247Sports.com. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- Lesmerises, Doug (September 20, 2012). "Tyquan Lewis, a 4-star defensive end from North Carolina, becomes Ohio State Buckeyes' 17th pledge to 2013 recruiting class". cleveland.com. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- Shoemaker, Tim (October 13, 2015). "He Is The Superman In Their World: Ohio State's Tyquan Lewis Plays The Game He Loves For Much More Than Himself". Eleven Warriors. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- Landis, Bill (April 7, 2016). "Ohio State DE Tyquan Lewis nearly back from the shoulder injury he played through last year". cleveland.com. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- Shoemaker, Tim (April 7, 2016). "Tyquan Lewis Provides Update on Recovery From Offseason Shoulder Surgery; Ohio State's Defensive End Expects to Be 100 Percent By Fall Camp". Eleven Warriors. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- Shoemaker, Tim (November 15, 2016). "'A Man's Man:' Tyquan Lewis Leads Ohio State's Defense Both On and Off the Field". Eleven Warriors. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- Staats, Wayne (January 5, 2017). "Report: Ohio State DL Tyquan Lewis to return for senior season". Land of 10. The Diehards Network. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- "Ohio State DL Tyquan Lewis reaffirms return for 2017 season: 'I am still hungry for more'". Land of 10. January 9, 2017. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- "Defensive end Tyquan Lewis to return to Ohio State for senior season". Land-Grant Holy Land. January 5, 2017. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- "J.T. Barrett, Tyquan Lewis Earn Big Ten Preseason Honors". Ohio State University. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- "Nick Bosa, Tyquan Lewis & Denzel Ward First-Team All-Big Ten". November 28, 2017. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- Melo, Justin (February 28, 2018). "Meet Tyquan Lewis, the pass-rushing prospect who refuses to lose". The Draft Wire. USA Today. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- Bielik, Tim (January 27, 2018). "Jalyn Holmes, Tyquan Lewis both make impact plays: How Ohio State players fared in 2018 Senior Bowl". cleveland.com. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- Crawford, Drew (December 18, 2017). "Ohio State DL Tyquan Lewis accepts Senior Bowl invite". Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- "Jalyn Holmes, Tyquan Lewis are first Ohio State players to accept 2018 Reese's Senior Bowl invites". landgrantholyland.com. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- "Ohio State's defensive line genius was on full display at Senior Bowl". landof10.com. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- Murphy, Patrick (March 3, 2018). "Ohio State Buckeyes Tyquan Lewis' NFL Combine in doubt due to illness". 247Sports.com. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- "NFL Draft & Combine Profile - TYQUAN LEWIS". National Football League. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- Bielik, Tim (April 19, 2018). "Tyquan Lewis, NFL Draft 2018: When should the Ohio State defensive end be picked?". cleveland.com. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- Pflum, Chris (March 18, 2018). "2018 NFL Draft prospect profile: Tyquan Lewis, DL, Ohio State". Big Blue View. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- "NFL Tyquan Lewis -ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- "Tyquan Lewis, DS #12 DE, Ohio State". DraftScout.com. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- "NFL Draft Profile: Tyquan Lewis". National Football League. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- "Indianapolis Colts Select Tyquan Lewis with Pick 64 in NFL Draft". StampedeBlue.com. April 27, 2018. Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- "Colts trade up, take DE Tyquan Lewis with 64th pick". fox59.com. April 27, 2018. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- "Spotrac.com: Tyquan Lewis contract". Spotrac.com. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- Walker, Andrew (September 3, 2018). "Colts Sign Free Agent Tight End Ryan Hewitt; Place Tyquan Lewis On IR". Colts.com.
- "Roster Moves: Colts Bring DT/DE Tyquan Lewis, LB Skai Moore To Active Roster; Waive WR Steve Ishmael, RB Robert Turbin". Colts.com. November 9, 2018.